Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon sonus 5 special vs. sonus 519

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, May 4, 2005.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    which bass is better? what are the differences? what are the prices of the 2?

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    There's a lot more to it than that...

The 519 is 22 frets vs 24, 19mm spacing at the bridge vs 17mm, and has a 35" scale vs 34".

Also, the Special has the different woods (as mentioned), neck pickup closer to the bridge and is eq'd very differently. All this adds up to a lean more towards the mids, which is why they cut so well (as also mentioned) and also why they make one of the most fantastic fretlesses out there.

Generally speaking, however, BOTH are designed to be J-variants, tho the standard Sonus (and 519) maybe a bit more.

I agree the regular Sonus or 519 will be slightly more versatile, but not much. I have a Sonus 5 and a Sonus 5 Special (fretless), so I can say this from experience.

Generally speaking, you'll spend 2200-2600 for a new one, and 1300-1800 used.

Again, (as also mentioned), not better, just different... very different.

3. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    ive played a sonus 4 special and loved it. i only own modulus basses now so i really dig the graphite neck basses. i just sold a spector so i have a couple grand in my pocket and really want a 5 string bass. there is a 519 on the classified ads, thats why i asked the difference. i meant which cost more not really which if better. do they have any basses with a two soapbar pup configuration kinda like a spector ns4. do any of there basses come with emgs? i loved how my spector sounded, i just like the strengh of graphite basses.

4. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i went there last night and the custom would be the one id like to try. i wish i had a zon dealer around here.

5. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you've got the cash I can't believe you are hesitating on that bass ... it looks incredible, and did you listen to those MP3s?! That thing sounds amazing.

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

That 519 is an incredible deal and an awesome instrument.

7. 513rocks.com

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    yeah it is a pretty bass. i think i want a sonus custom 5 though. im not a big fan of jazz type pups. i want it to sound thick and big. i loved how my usa spector ns4 sounded and i really love how my modulus flea basses sound with the lane poor pup. i like big pickup basses. i think jazz pups are a lil mellow for my taste. i really like the controls on the custom. i did really like the tone of the special i played and those are jazz pups. i wish i could try all 3 out through my rig but that cant happen. i do have the cash if anyone has a sonus custom 5 out there. let me know. there is a bad ass one at the bass place i might have to look into.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I love my Sonus Custom fretless. I would really like to try a fretted one.

This bass is a tonal chameleon. It can get any fretless tone that I can imagine. I am sure that a fretted would be just as versatile.