Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Sonus and Sonus Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaHei, Feb 10, 2003.

1. For those that have played them both:

Which of these two Sonus models do you prefer and why?

And: Can you get the Custom (with soapbars) to sound like a standard Sonus or are they really two different beasts?

"Just try them" doesn't apply to me, unless I make a looooong journey across the Atlantic :)

Thanks!
    Mark

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    To me, they sound very different. The Sonus Custom has the Soapbars and a 34' scale, where the Sonus is a 35' scale. The custom that I played had a slightly differrent preamp as well. The custom sounded thin to me, and the B string felt and sounded whimpy. The 35' really added to the B and added some bottom to the bass. I was hoping that the Custom sounded good because I really like the feel of the 34' scale, but it didn't really stand out to me as being something that I had to have. I hate to say it, but I think you really should play both to make your decission because the sound and feel differrent to me.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I don't remember anything of any Zon Sonuses being 35" scale.. My Sonus Special is 34" i never seen a 35" Scale Zon to this date

DM

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    You should probobly check the website and see for yourself, but the 5/1, 5/2, Sonus Studio, and 519 are all 35' scales. The Sonus Studio was the 35' I played that was really nice.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You should probably check your first post here again, because the models in question are the Sonus (standard) and the Sonus Custom. The Sonus Studio is a whole different beast.

The regular Sonus has J pickups, not soapbars.

6. Right, thinking about the Standard Sonus 6 and the Custom model. Both have a 34" scale.

But hey, I've been asking myself too, what Joe Zon's reasoning was behind offering a 35" 5/2 model whereas all other 5 and 6 string models have 34". (The Studion being an exception.)

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i love the linear coils on my sonus 5 fretless.

hey, any excuse to post a pic again!

[​IMG]

f

8. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

fhodshon - what kind of top is that ?

9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    that's SPALTED MAPLE.