Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Sonus Custom 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zonplayer, Nov 29, 2000.

1. Anyone out there own one of these? My B string seems to rattle alot and doesnt respond as well as the other strings.
    Ive owned some nice 5 strings before and not had this problem before. Anyone experience this with these basses?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    These may seem like dumb questions but bear with me:D I have a Legacy, which is basically the same as a Sonus (with one major difference:D)

Can you locate the origin of the rattle? Is it at the bridge or elsewhere?

If it's at the bridge, if you have saddles with two screws, are they both firmly planted on the base of the bridge?

If the rattle is at the fretboard, is the B string height set too low?

At the headstock, do you have at least a couple of wraps of the B string going around the tuner? Is the B string pressed down at the base of the tuner (it should be)?

What gauge B string do you use?

How hard do you pluck it (slap it, pick it, etc.)?

I may be missing something but any of these can cause rattling. A combination of any of these could do the same.

3. More of a lack of focus I think. 3 complete wraps around the peg. Height is good- not too low not too high. I use a 130 ga string. It reacts the same plucked hard or soft. And for some reason its the only string that does it. It sounds awesome otherwise.

4. maestrox

maestrox

Oct 8, 2000
    You might try altering pickup heights, as well as relative string heights. I have a Sonus Custom 5, but the B string doesn't suffer from any buzzes or fuzzy tone. I must say that I did spend some time dialing the bridge and pickups in. When I got it, there was a shim installed in the neck pocket that gave it pretty high action. When I pulled the shim out, the bass was unplayable...the G string was sitting on the frets. After a bit of allen and screwdriver action though, it sings.

5. Thanks guys. I'll try adjusting the string height again. I did that once and raised it fairly high w/ no avail.
    The problem wouldn't be the pickups because I hear it when played acoustically as well. It may also be part of the physical properties of the bass as well, the woods etc.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    So where does the rattle seem to be coming from?

7. The whole string low to high.