Zon Sonus Custom 6 or Smith BSR6 bolt on ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godoze, Dec 3, 2002.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    which would you choose and why ?
  2. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Which one do you like better??
  3. I'd go with a roscoe 6 instead :p
  4. I'd go with a Dingwall 6 instead.

But seriously, I have played 2 Ken Smith 6s and both sounded very distinctive, and very good. I guess it is that distinctive Smith tone I have heard spoken of. For some reason, I found the neck seemed wide in my hand. I mean, the F bass 6 I played in Montreal has wider spacing, but this neck really felt wide. I suppose it was probably the profile of the neck though.

I have never played a Zon.

I hear nothing but good about either bass's build quality, I guess it comes down to which one sounds/feels better to you.

edit: Sorry, I would choose the Zon, because I am interested in the graphite neck , and I have heard they have a very thin neck (front to back). If the Smith was a neck-thru, I would take that one, however.

5. I'll answer your question with more questions:

1. What styles do you play?
    2. Live or in studio? Or both?
    3. Is price savings a factor?

THAT is a tough choice!! :confused: Because Smiths sound so distinctive, it may not appeal to every band leader, producer, player to perform with. But they are still awesome basses.

In the final analysis, you'll probably love either one.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    what if they were both fretless ?
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'd go with the Zon, because I like the Jazz sound. Also, I always thought the name Zon sounded pretty cool.

8. ZON, no doubt. He's one of the guys that definitely has the fretless recipe down! I have never heard a Ken Smith fretless. You just don't see them outside of Ken's website. Again, what are people going to expect from your instrument? How "unique" or "individual" can you get before nobody calls you?
  9. i played a chuck rainey model 6 string smith fretless back in the mid 90's which i think was converted to fretless after the guy got it, and i have a zon fretless sitting here right next to me. i would have to say that the zon wins as far as overall fretless tone goes --- to my ears, that is. if we're talking about fretted basses, i would choose the smith, since, i have one of those sitting right next to me as well, and i've tested a few zon fretted's before. i actually don't like the zon fretted basses that much at all for some reason. they're nice, that's for sure, but i dig the smith more. funny thing.. i don't like 35" scale basses in general, but i found i really like modulus quantum 6 strings as far as fretted basses go, but i don't like the modulus fretless sound too much. i dunno.. funny me. :D
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. Zon is near the top in fretlesses. IMHO, Joe's fretlesses have a little 'magic' that is not in the fretteds.
  11. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well, now i will tell you that i asked fretless because i might be trading my smith fretted 6 for the zon sonus custom fretless 6 (actually wanted a smith fretless) but have no experience with zon other than the hyperbass.
  12. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    all the fretless Zons I've played have been great!
    He really knows how to make a world-class fretless.
  13. well, they're two different animals tonally speaking. i have a sonus special fretless which sounds awesome IMO, but i can't speak for the custom. i think the bottom line is, do you need a fretless 6 more than the fretted six? i don't feel a direct comparison is possible.. they're different basses for different tasks.
  14. I have a Zon Sonus Custom 5 for sale!

Check out the Classified/For Sale section for details. (Just thought I would throw that in):)
  15. no harm in a shameless plug :D
  16. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am really a fretless player, but when i bought the Smith a few years ago i went fretted. why ? i wish i knew. At any rate i want to go back to fretless ( i could never really get used to having frets after playing strictly fretless for 10 yrs.

I want the "fretless tone." however one may subjectively describe it. I also want a high quality bass since that is what i am used to playing.

and (unlike most of you guys, i think...) i only keep one electric bass and my upright. I has no trouble getting work with fretless before and my heart is really there in the fretless zone.

I think the Zon is probably the way to go. Do you think i'm wrong.

someone raised a good point; i do not think i've ever seen a smith fretless in the flesh- i guess there is something to be said for that.
  17. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    how about compared to a pedulla fretless ?
  18. like i said. i played an older chuck rainey bolt on model years ago, and it didn't exactly fit what my idea of the ultimate fretless tone is. the zon is closer to the tone i hear in my head i think. the smith didn't sound bad, i just think smiths sound better in their fretted versions. my opinion of course...
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I picked my Sonus Custom over a Pentabuzz.
  20. When I think of a fretless sound in my head, the Pedulla is NOT it. That diamond coat just doesn't sound natural to me. Same with Modulus fretless basses.