Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Sonus on a gig...YOWZA!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Jul 24, 2005.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    What up, savages??
    I just gigged this morning doing 2 services at my church with my new (to me) Zon Sonus 4. I had Carey Nordstrand cut a new narrower bone nut and wire in a Bart 3 band pre (it came w/a 2 band..ick) with switchable mids. He does such good work, it's ridiculous. Great builder, great friend. Anyway, in a band setting in a church with a notoriously bassy sanctuary, it flat-out got it DONE!! NO probs cutting through. I am seriously fired up about how well in sits in the mix. I had several musician friends who were sitting in the back of the hall comment on how clear and punchy my tone was. I traded a 62 reissue jazz from 86 straight across the board for the bass. Needless to say, I am VERY satisfied w/the trade, and the bass plays and sounds like a million bucks!
    If and when I can figure out how to post some pics here, I'll do so. But for those of you w/an imagination ;) it's amethist (trans purple) in color, and a super playable neck with a jazz nut width.

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Ya can NEVER go wrong with a Zon! I love the Sonus' neck profile more than the Legacys. My Legacy 6 has a bolt on Sonus neck that RULES, my favorite bass at the moment(for 2yrs now). I'm sure Carey added some serious "mojo" too!...

~S~

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Matt-

I assume this thing has no truss rod...is the neck relief flat enough for your liking? I have a friend with a sweeet Legacy Elite 4, very nice bass.

W

4. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Flatter than an 8th grade prom queen :eyebrow: :D ! It has action that is seriously down there...as low as I can get my Eshenbaugh, and that thing is my speed machine! It has no truss rod.

5. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Congrats.. I've got a 519 coming in Thursday.. I can't wait!!!! :hyper:

6. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    I play Zons in my church too and they definitely ring through clear as a bell. No mud here. Good thing to have quality stuff too when the sound people are not the greatest...