1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zon Sonus RT5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jhan, Oct 3, 2009.

1. jhan

jhan Guest

Big lesson in subjectivity:

I tried a Zon Sonus RT5 today. I have to say that, for $1300, this is one HELL of a freakin' instrument. Great sounding, great playing. In fact, if I closed my eyes, I could swear I was playing a Spector Euro 5, which costs a lot more and doesn't sound any better, at least IMO.

Hell, I don't even like the sound of Bartolini preamps too much. This is the first instrument with a Bart preamp that I actually liked. Go figure.

I had read lots of meh reviews of the RT5, so I went into it jaundiced. Goes to show you how you never know until you know for yourself, eh?

As far as the wood vs. graphite neck: some claim that they would NEVER consider a Zon w/o the graphite neck. I myself have never been a huge fan of graphite necks, and anyways, I think the Modulus graphite necks play and sounds better.

Regardless - I never fail to be surprised at what my hands and ears tell me vs. what other people tell me.

2. jphilauren

jphilauren

Nov 8, 2007
    Can't go wrong with either Zon or Modulus. Have not heard anything bad about ZON, My only concern is that there have been a number of threads regarding Zon necks without truss rods needing repair. Modulus and Status now make all their necks with truss rods. If you like a Modulus, try a Status!