Zon Sonus Special 5-String--Trade/Cash

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by MegaSwing, Mar 25, 2004.

1. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    ON HOLD. 3/29/04. Sonus Special 5-String, w/ highly figured bubinga top, ash body, and carbon fiber neck/phenolic fingerboard. Visually striking instrument with great live and recorded presence. Bartolini 9V active electronics w/ adjustable gain in preamp. Not mint because of nicks in a couple of nearly unnoticeable places, but in damned fine condition. Will trade for minty clean Fender Roscoe Beck 5-String (any color) plus $500 cash difference. Case not included nor necessary for trade. Serious inquiries please. More photos available upon request. Item is in Baltimore, MD/Washington, DC area.
  2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Love the top. What kind of bridge is that ? It doesn't look like the standard Zon bridge.
  3. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    It's a Wilkinson bridge. Most who care to comment complain about it, and it isn't the most convenient bridge in the world, but once it's in place, it doesn't move. It took me a while to get it fully adjusted. The night I got it, I worked another shift until about 3:30 a.m. getting it to where I liked it. Went to bed freaking TIRED. I have changed strings numerous times since (same brand and gauge), and the bridge always returns to the original setting. My harmonics stay perfect. All bridges should work this well. For a moderate amount of money, Zon will change it for you, but the replacement isn't a bolt-to-bolt match, FWIW.

Short answer: Good bridge. Stays put.

Edward G.
    Baltimore, MD

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have the Wilkinson on my Legacy. It works.
  5. RobZon5

Feb 12, 2001
    Bartlett, TN
    To clarify, the Wilkinson bridges were the standard factory bridges on Zons, earlier on.

p.s. good to see ya' `round E.G.!