1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zon sonus special 5er / sound & pup config ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassedsouth, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Hi ,
    anyone have experience with a sonus special 5er ?
    The neck pickup on the special has been placed closer to the back pickup resulting in a naturally punchier mid range which was Zon's intention with this model . Due to the pickup placement the slap sound suffers , ie none of that 'scooped' marcus type thing !! The bass has a Bartolini pre with hi and low eq only .
    My question is if I change the pre to one a mid selectable eq and or perhaps change the pickups as well ,will I be able to get closer to the sound I envision , or is there no real solution due to the pickup
    positions ?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I'm not a slapper but dink with it some and can get decent slaps tones - just not much at playing them.

There are lots of different slap tones but typically they're scooped, have a bright top end, and come naturally to an acoustically bright bass, hard for an acoustically dark bass.

I play pretty much bridge only but I know guys have got a slap tone from P's and neck pups. Typically neck pups aren't popular for slapping cause they tend to get in the way and I've a number of complaints about as much.

It's trial and error but in terms of the bass itself my guess would be the pups themselves or the acoustic properties of the bass. I'd probably pick up a set of used EMG active pups to check that out.