Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Sonus Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dirty Road Cola, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I was wondering, does anyone have a 5 or 6er? I was wondering what ya'll think of it as I've been looking at one, but no stores near me have one in stock. Also, if you guys/gals could, could you describe the sound? Also, if any of you happen to have any recordings that have been done with a sonus special, could you direct me towards them?

Thanks muchly folks,
    Neal

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I could point you to another board but you'd get waay more information than you probably want;)

It's hard to descibe any bass' sound and the Zon's are no exception. The Sonus Special has more of a low middy sound than a regular Sonus, if you've ever heard one. If not I guess, compared to a Fender Jazz bass it's similar but with a cleaner sound than a nice Jazz. Note: cleaner is not always better.

You can get a nice full range sound with the pan pot in the middle and it has a nice Jaco growl when you solo the bridge pickups.

Comfortable necks, nice fretwork, generally high marks for playability.

Strings can greatly affect the sound, IME Nickel rounds work best for me, nice even sound, not as zingy as stainless steel. The usually Nickel characteristics shine on these basses, the usual SS haracteristics can go over the top.

I won't go into "Spector" mode and rant about how great these are...that's up to you;)

Hope that helps.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I tought about it too Brad, but I thought, "it's not something I want to do to a friend".

:D

4. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I have search for a bass that has it all. I have not come across it until I played a Zon Sonus Special 5. To me it is tonaly the best jazz type bass on the market. If you get a chance to, I would encourage you to try it out. Also compare it to other jazz type basses....and any other bass you are considering. I think you will be surprized by the sound and tones you get from it.

5. Before purchasing, I talked with many people and found the Custom to have more tonal options than the Special.
    I ended up purchasing a Sonus Custom 5, and I love it.
    The Special (fretless anyways) was described as "Jaco on acid" which is cool but Ive heard that the "growl" is a little difficult to tame.
    I am currently contemplating purchasing a fretless 4, either a Special or a Legacy Elite.

But here is a Special 6 fretted for sale.
    http://www.guitarboutique.com/bass9.html

Also check out my Zon users page.
    http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/zonbassusers

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Zonplayer -

Sir, I must tell you, I was VERY upset by your posting the link to that used Sonus Special that's for sale. It was quite thoughtless and dangerous. Luckily, it was a fretted and not a fretless, thus saving my already hopelessly damaged financial situation from complete and total ruin.

;) :D

(For Pete's sake, DO NOT find a used fretless 6 Sonus Special and post it, or I may not be able to control myself!!!! :eek: )

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    ...luckily it's only got 5 strings and has those irritating metal bars that just get in my way! ;)

You'll have to try harder than that to hurt me!!!! :p

8. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Thanks Zonplayer, I'm already on your group, have been for quite some time, I've just been lurking ;)

I was just wondering if the Special would be appropriate for a "rock" band. Not a nu-metal band..I'd also have to use it for jazz/funk/blues later, so would it be appropriate in that setting as well?

Thanks again guys,
    Neal

9. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    i have found that it is one of thse basses that cut through the mix of screaming guitars. I played in a rock group for about 3 years touring and every different place i went to people came up to me and asked my how i get my bass to cut through like that. It definitely is the bass. It is also even more appropriate for jazz, funk, and blues. This bass is great in all settings

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Zonplayer, you sir are a BA$TARD! I mean that in the most heartfelt and sincerely complimentary way possible ;) :p

Luckily, the photopoint pics aren't loading, so I'm not TOO tempted....yet......