Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

zon sonus studio

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbhm, Jun 18, 2003.

1. cbhm

cbhm

Apr 4, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Has anyone played one of these? how is it? I've seen alot of threads about the sonus custom buts almost non about the studio. thanks in advance.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I've gigged with one. These things are the THRUTH! They ain't cheap though. This, IMO, is easily the best Zon model. Also, I think the Studio model doesn't get nearly the attention it deserves. I ilke Modulus, but I'd take one of these in a heartbeat!

3. Does anyone have a picture of the studio?

If so...will you post it.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I just happen to know where this one is sitting, and if you are really interested PM me! :D

These are GREAT basses, and if I weren't completely broke, this guy would be at my house, not at work!!!! :p

[​IMG]

6. I had one very briefly. It was the flame-topped one with maple-covered Aeros that was up for sale here on TB a year or two ago.

At that point, it was the only Zon 5 available with 19mm string spacing, and I really liked the way it played. I'm really glad Zon has started offering the 519.

The separate EQs and midrange switch for each pickup were less useful than I expected, though. A single normal 3-band would have been better for me.

I'm not sure how much difference the mahogany body made, since it still didn't have quite as much midrange as I would have liked, but that may have been due to the specific Aero pickups it had installed. (I'm also a midrangy kinda guy. :D)

Mike

7. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    Mike here is the one you are talking about

[​IMG]

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i happen to know where that sonus special is sitting :D

9. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I've been drooling after that one for long time!

10. Ahh, but why pay a fortune for a Zon when my Zon Legacy Standard is for sale -- and MUCH cheaper than that old pricey Studio. If you're interested in your OWN Zon, go to the For Sale section and look under "Zon Legacy STANDARD."

Sorry.....I had to.

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Mike Zimmerman,

Did you put the Aero's in it or? What did the mid controls do that you didn't like? Was there an adjustable internal pot for the mids? Was the adjustability not worth/same sounding as a regular 3 band layout?

thanks,
    ~S~

12. Nope, I didn't put the Aeros in--I believe the previous owner, stroy05, had them installed.

The electronics on the Studio are different from any of the other Zons. I'm pretty sure they use the same Bart circuit that was developed for the Tobias Growler basses. There's the usual volume and balance controls, but then there's a separate stacked bass and treble control for each pickup. Each pickup also has a 3-way switch that's flat, mid boost, or mid cut for that pickup. There was not an internal mid pot.

Now, on my Wal I like having the separate EQ for each pickup, but that's a lowpass filter setup similar to Alembic--I found the separate B/T setup for each pickup less useful. That's probably because I often run with a 50/50 pickup blend, didn't very often want to boost or cut the treble or bass on one pickup and not the other. Other folks may well have different approaches to EQing.

Also, I ended leaving the mid boost on all the time for both pickups to get the mids that I wanted, though that maybe due to the different sonic character of the Aeros compared to the Barts and Wal pickups I'm used to.

Mike

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Mike,

The reason I ask is because I was considering using this pre with the Aero's(I know you can get specific windings for your needs from Aero)but I've seen more people complain than love the Aero's performance. Being that Lane is gone, that pretty much leaves me with Bartolini for the pup's.

I'm up in the air between an Aguilar OB-3 or the Bart/Zon Studio pre right now. We'll see, stay tuned & wish the best for me...

~S~

14. Good luck, and keep us posted! I have no experience with the Aggie pre, but my pending Nordstrand will have one installed. We'll see how it compares to the bart setups I'm used to.

Mike

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    FO SHO !

16. oh man oh man oh man...I went to one of the biggest music stores that I know of in eastern Wisconsin, and hot damn! Excuse my language but I played my first Zon and Fodera there! I was sooooooooo stoked!!!! I think my next bass will be a Zon 5/19 with the Burled Redwood top and alder body (I think)...I played one and I had to change my underpants. I swear that it was the sound that I've been hearing in my head.

The Fodera was a Victor Wooten sig model and that was pretty freakin' awesome too! but I liked the Zon better. :smug:

And I thought my Modulus sounded good! LOL and the guy said that Wals make the Fodera sound like a kindergartener. GAS attack.