1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Zon Sonus TJ5 Spalted Flame Maple w/ Three Pickups

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Price:
    $3550
    Strings:
    Well, the Zon TJ6 I wanted to sell this for sold, but I’ve still got a bit of a bug for another 6, so I’d be open to look at high end narrow spaced 6ers with a 34” or less scale.

Great shape, Has a couple of nicks by the output jack, a wear spot on the back of the upper horn, on the top edge, and one ding on the top edge of the body that was actually put there by the guys at the Zon shop. I tried to capture them as best I could in the pics below.
    34”
    26 frets
    Alder body
    Spalted flame maple top
    Matching headstock
    Gotoh GB350 ultralight replacement tuners
    3 radiused Bartolini pickups with small ramps between them and a piece of polystyrene on top for an even surface
    full.jpg
    full.jpg
    full.jpg
    (the left one)
    full.jpg
    96907703-E0DE-4F8B-A577-152649F79B06.jpeg
    0CDDB6CA-4CC2-42C0-989D-D2521F25F2AC.jpeg
    5D450097-AC3D-457B-8E1A-B0F2541A2F69.jpeg

With the polystyrene piece off so you can see the pickups:
    BFBAEE7E-D1D2-446F-86EF-F77C732F5686.jpeg

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Hey Bryan,
    Given the unusual configuration might you tell us what the controls are?

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sure. There’s a three-way pickup selectors switch:
    Up is neck and middle
    Center is neck and bridge
    Down is middle and bridge
    The knobs are all the standard configuration- volume, blend, bass, mids, treble. The only thing that’s a little different is when in center position, turning the blend towards the neck solos the bridge pickup and turning it towards the bridge solos the neck pickup.

kesslari likes this.
  4. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Holy sizzle frets! That is really cool.

5. portraitoftracy

portraitoftracy

Sep 27, 2005
    Chico, CA
    Weight and string spacing?

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    17mm spacing and weighs 9lbs 4oz
    AA563ADD-15EA-44ED-BBE1-1E63684D9062.jpeg

7. Alehouse

Alehouse Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Is that some sort of mesh covering the pickups ? Thanks

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It’s a thin piece of polystyrene plastic double taped to the top of the radiused pickups and the thin ramps located between them.

9. Alehouse

Alehouse Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Not to be a pain, does it have to be on there ? What does it look like without it? Thanks

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    They’re easily removable. They’re only attached with double stick tape. I don’t believe I have a photo of it without though as I put ramps on my basses the moment I get them and keep them on.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021