1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zon Sonus Truss Rod Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassandgolf, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Bassandgolf

Bassandgolf

Jul 25, 2011
    I just took delivery of a Zon Sonus bass and have zero complaints but noticed there is no truss rod access making me think there is no truss rod. Neck feels perect but should I be concerned for the long haul?

This is my first Zon but not first graphite neck. I had a 2005 Quantum but that had a truss rod.

Any comments or advice is appretiated.

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I think some of the older model Zon's and even Modulus Basses didn't have truss rods. Graphite really isn't going to move under normal playing conditions so I think you'll be fine.

I'm sure most graphite neck bass builders put a truss rod in because of the concerns us bass players have, not that the're really needed.

3. Bassandgolf

Bassandgolf

Jul 25, 2011
    Thx, man. I know next to nothing about Zons other than they are beautiful and now I know they play great. Picked this one up outta intense G.A.S.

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Truss rods (really "relief adjustment rods") weren't included in most graphite necks to begin with--neither Modulus nor Zon included them until fairly recently.

5. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Bolt-on Zons with trussrods have no outside access to the adjustment. You have to remove the neck.

I believe some set-neck Zons do have an access cover to the adjustment. I believe this is a feature on only newer instruments.

I have a TJ5 Fretless with a trussrod. It was set at the factory and I've not ever adjusted it. My neck has been very stabile and I have my action very low. All seems OK.

Reading on TB for a while statements from Zon owners with basses with no trussrod has yielded no bad stories...probably don't need the trussrod, but I am happy to have it just in case.

6. Bassandgolf

Bassandgolf

Jul 25, 2011
    Whew!! Good to hear. I was about to remove the neck outta curiousity. Neck/action on my zon is great. BTW: sick Wals on your avatar. Wish I woulda pulled the trigger when Bass Central had those in stock back in the day.

7. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    I am curious what year your Zon is and if it does have a trussrod. Let us know if you do ever take the neck off.

My Wals are fantastic. Especially the two Mark IIs in the picture. I also have two Mark IIIs, fretted and fretless which are my main basses. The Mark IIIs are lighter and more ergonomic so they get the most playing. The Mark IIs play and sound even better, but they are a touch heavy and have a bit of neck-dive. I've conferred with Paul at Wal about having him do some work to mitigate the dive, but sending the two basses plus the cost of the work totals about $3,000! So I'm considering options!

8. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've got a mid/late 90's Zon Sonus, and I can tell you for a certainty, there is no truss rod on my Sonus. I've had this bass for at least 15 years, and the neck has been solid the whole time.

9. Bassandgolf

Bassandgolf

Jul 25, 2011
    Should I stay away from heavy or light gauge strings..one or the other?

10. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've used fairly heavy gauge strings the whole time on my Sonus 6. Dean Markley Blue Steel mediums are what I've had on mine almost the whole time. And no significant change in the neck.

11. Addison

Addison This time, I didn't forget the gravy. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2009
    Nunyo, FB
    Send an email to customerservice@zonguitars.com with your serial number, and one of the guys there will get back to you with some more detailed info on your bass... and they can even tell you if you have a truss rod or not, so you don't have to remove the neck.

It might take a day or two to get a reply, so be patient... they're a surprisingly small shop.