Zon Sonus VS Lagacy Elite

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oatbass, Feb 15, 2005.

1. oatbass

Feb 11, 2005
    Has anyone ever try or own both Zon Sonus and Legacy Elite? Please compare the tonal characteristics, suitable style and versatility of these basses. Also I would like to know the slap tone of graphite-neck bass such as Zons. :bassist:
  2. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I have a Zon Sonus 519 that I purchased new about 8 weeks ago. The slap tone is absolutely killer. Almost Marcus like. I just recorded an entire Cd with it. The sound engineers were blown away by the Zon. Its probably the best sounding bass I have ever had. Check my gear list, I have had a lot!
  3. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    With active electronics you are really listening to the pick-ups more than the building materials.

I was seriously considering a Legacy Elite 6, but it was too expensive IMO. The Sonus series is ok, but I felt that I could get a neck through Pedulla for the same coin so I did. Graphite has no dead spots and usually no truss rod so string gauges have little affect on relief.

I think Zon has done itself a disservice pushing the Sonus so hard, now that is what they are known for, that would be like Porsche being known for the 914 or 944s instead of the 911.
  4. AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    I own a "regular" Sonus V and formerly owned a Legacy Elite V. I was able to compare these side-by-side. I had to let the Legacy go because I just couldn't get comfortable playing it.

It's hard to say, because there are several Sonus models available. The "regular" Sonus has single coil pickups and sounds, to me, very much like a vintage Jazz Bass with a maple board. There are other models that use dual coil pickups and have a more modern and meatier tone. The Legacy certainly has a very state-of-the-art electronics package. It provides a lot of versatility, but couldn't get the raw tone I found in the Sonus. If you want THE Jazz Bass tone, try the "regular" Sonus model.

Per the specs, the "regular" Sonus and Legacy share the same set of neck dimensions, but I found the Sonus more comfortable for me to play. This was true standing or seated. The Sonus is also available with wider spacing and in a 35" scale, at least in five string models. I'm not sure if that's also true for fours.

If I had it to do over, I would probably try a Sonus with either the "Custom" or "Studio" electronics package in 34" scale with the regular string spacing. I think that would give the best of both worlds.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What is 914 or 944 about a Sonus Special, Custom, or Studio?:rolleyes:

I have a Sonus Custom, which has the same electronics as a Legacy. I find the Sonus body style more comfortable personally, although the set neck design of the Legacy makes for very easy access to the highest notes.

My Sonus Custom is a fretless. I love the slap tone, but it isn't a good comparison if you are looking for a fretted slap bass.

Zon has the most 'woody' sounding graphite necks IMHO. Mine sounds like a great fretless, and I picked it over a Lakland 55-94 and a Pedulla PentaBuzz, because I liked the fretless tone better. The Lakland and Pedulla are both awesome, but I like my Zon more.
  6. Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Sonus Custom V owner here---Zon's have a certain "honk" in the midrange, which speaks really well in a band. A bit different than the "burp" associated with jazz basses and musicmans. Oh that, and the absolutely subteranean bottom. It just works on so many levels.

The playability of my Zon exceeds anything I've ever played at an price.