Zon Sonus weight consistancy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm hoping to sell off a few things and have been wanting a Zon Custom 5 for some time. I'm feeling that my issues in the past with Zon's have been because of the strings that were on them.

There are no Zon dealers anywhere close to where I live. The Sonus' that I've played seem to be pretty consistant at, what I estimate to be, 9-9.5 pounds. Joe always seems to use swamp ash as the body wood. The top wood shouldn't have any affect on the overall weight as since it's not very thick. And the necks should be consistant because of the molding process. So with this in mind, one could reasonbly assume that the Sonus is pretty darn consistant in the weight at around 9 pounds...right?
  2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    I've seen a few Sonuses...Sonii (Sony) with mahogany or alder bodies. Are planning on getting one built or on buying one from a retailer ?
    Mine weighed a bit under 9 pounds. Most of the other ones I've tried were in the zone (Zon :) ) you mentioned.
    Now a solid maple Legacy....heavy.
  3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I think tops do have some effect on weight. I don't know how thick the tops Joe uses are, but my uncut (just a slab) goncalo alves top was a 6 pound package when it was shipped by UPS. So, even accounting for other crap (styrofoam, cardboard), it probably weighs 5. This, obviously, uncut, but that's pretty significant, IMO. GA is a wood Joe uses, too.
  4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The basses should vary slightly based on the the selection of the top. The more dense the wood selected, in theory, the heavier the bass.
  5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Wow! 5 pounds for a top? But I do know that goncalo is pretty heavy and 5 pounds is pretty significant. Very beautiful woods and one of my favorites. So I would guess that the top does have an affect on the overall weight. That's helpful information.

I would probably lean more toward a redwood, koa or walnut top on the ash. And I'd be looking at hooking up on a used one if possible.
  6. Voice Of Thor

Voice Of Thor Member

May 19, 2003
    I would imagine the weight has more to do with which piece of ash they selected vs. the topwood (although topwood does have some bearing).
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  8. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Alright Brad, what are you grinning about??? :)
  9. Looks like PD has found his way back.
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!