Zon Sonus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmangreg, May 10, 2002.

1. Is there anyone that use a Zon Sonus 5 for their main gigging bass?

Are they high end basses and do they hold a good resale value?

Please post a picture and elaborate.
  2. I have owned 3 Zon Sonus - I fretted Custom, 1 fretless Custom and 1 fretless Lightwave. Zons are excellent basses, assuming you like their tone and feel. They have a flexible tone that cuts well thru the mix. I prefer the fretless models over the fretted - purely a personal choice.

There's a pic of the Lightwave on my Bass Page in my sig below.

Highly recommended.

3. ...And to anyone who's interested, I'm selling a Zon Sonus Custom fretless 5.

Excellent condition
    -Sable finish
    -Factory installed Seymour Duncan p/u's and electronics
    -EASY to play and GREAT sounds!

$1,500 or best offer

Email me at jbowen@kma.com if you're interested. I have jpegs for SERIOUS INQUIRIES, but I don't know how to attach them to this thread.
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Another Zon-bie checkin' in!

Got a Zon Sonus Special 5 fretless, smokin' bass, end of story. I gotta agree with Jeff Rader though, I've yet to play a fretted that makes my brain melt like my fretless does. But I'm sure Joe makes one, I just haven't played it....YET! :D

We've got a Sonus Studio 5 fretted on the wall here at BC that is oh-so-close, and a friend of mine (Scott Harlan) has a killer Legacy Standard 5 fretted that did do it, so I know it's out there.
  5. Another Zonophile here. Check out the thread "My Zon is back" from last week for a picture of mine. My Zon is hands down the best quality bass that I have owned (I'm up to 40 basses owned). Mine is also a fretless that started life as a fretted. I'd like one of both though.
  6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    K guys, I'm gonna speak up for the fretted Zon. My Blondie Custom 5 is fabulous. Though I don't currently own a fretless Zon, the purple one pictured at left was a sweetie that I probably shouldn't have sold. Ah well, live and learn.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Apparently nobody else caught the part about the pictures.;)

I guess you could call my Sonus Custom fretless 5 my main gigging bass. Church is my main gig, and I use it about 75% of the time at church.

High end? Yes, they hold their own IMHO with all of the big name boutique stuff. Great basses, especially the Custom and Special models. But don't get me wrong, the base Sonus is great too.

I am starting to want a fretted Zon, though they still don't grab me quite the way the fretteds do. One of these days, I will find a great fretted, when I have money, and when I do, all of my other fretteds might just die of loneliness!

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

8. Thank you all for the information. I have one posted in my homepage section in my profile and I just wanted to know how it measured up to others. My Zon just says Zon Sonus on the headstock so I don't know much about this particular model except that it has lot's of volume and tone. It is shoreline gold with humbuckers and have a super neck and great string spacing. I got it from the Bass Palace a few weeks ago. I'm using a Peavey Firebass 700 with two TVX cabinets and I think that one day I may upgrade to a another type of amp situation.

I'm still wondering what seems to be so wonderful about the fretless Zons? I thought you could be more precisioned with fretted.

That's a sharp looking Zon pictured above. Maybe we ought to have a "Zon Arama" picture show soon.
  9. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I just made a trade for a Custom 5 fretless that will be shipped to me Monday. My new Zon is the same model as the one Embellisher has except mine has a flamed koa top.

I previously owned a Sonus 5 fretless that had the single coil PUs and did not like the tone with both PUs full on. Unfortunately the bass buzzed in many venues unless the PUs were both set at the same level. Sold that one to a friend who wanted it and he loves it. The Single coil model may not please everyone with the tone.

The playability of every Zon I've tried has been excellent. I really like the necks on the Sonus basses that I've played. Very nice!

My one niggle with Zon is that they charge $275 retail for a hard case. The case is worth about $129 retail IMO. I know they don't get a great price break but still.........! I'll probably just use one of my Lull cases for the Zon or maybe get the ultralight case.

10. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    I too am a Zon-Bie...

In fact my Sonus Lightwave fretless 5 is the only bass I play... it's absolutely amazing :D
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've had my Zon for about six months now...great bass.....if you like low action, Zon is great for that.
    I split my gigs between a Lull & the Zon...but sometimes use my American Deluxe JV. When I get another fretless.....it will be a Zon:) There are some pics of my Zon at the DUH site below.