Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon special 5 w/ 2 band or Warwick thumb 5 n/t w/ 3band????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, May 16, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm having a hard time deciding on whether I should keep my thumb or move to a Zon since I can only afford one. Since I'm having such a hard time I figured I'd ask around and see what others would do in my place. I really love both of these basses so try and help me out. Does it seem like to any of you like the special 5 cuts through the mix better than the thumb????? :confused: :(

2. If we're talking fretless, go Zon.

If we're talking fretted, go Warwick.

Of course, that's just my opinion. :)

edit: The reason I wasn't very thorough is because I don't play with a band. I'm a bedroom bassist. However, I think just about anyone will tell you that both of those basses can cut through quite well.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...I gotta Special, and it's just kills. My guitarist hates it, cuz it cuts through everything in the mix like a hot knife through melted butter while still sounding full and warm. Also, it weighs a good 2-3 lbs less than the Thumb, balances perfectly on a strap (the Thumb is the neck-dive king!), has a nice comfy slim neck, and that "I don't care how hot, cold, or humid it is I'm not movin'" composite neck.

But, if you dig the Thumb, it is a cool bass...

4. Yeah, the neck is a major decision point here. The necks on these two basses are nearly as different as can be.

Now the neck on my Zon did move when I installed new strings just a few days ago..... Now I've got to give it a setup, which will basically consist of setting heights with the bridge saddles and intonating. I'm glad I don't have a truss rod to adjust!

5. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanx guys and I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the zon but do you think it might cut through the mix better than my thumb, simply because I play in a "metal" band and my guitarist tune pretty low( c standard) and have very low end tone. I kinda need to know if the zon would come through better. I like that the zon has a graphite neck and wider string spacing(wish I new how wide though) and is enhanced in the low mids department w/ a more balance orientated body shape.
    I love the Thumb for the wood choices(wenge & bubinga) , that its a neck through and the pickup placement. ARRRGGGHHH!!:eek: Decisions, decisions. Oh, yeah the zon would be fretted not fretless. Does that matter at all????:confused: since I've never tried a zon of any caliber this is a tough decision but I found a special with an amazing deal.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Err...need to let ya in on something: The Thumb bass hasn't had a wenge neck for several years now, the new ones have ovangkol. Does still have the bubinga body wings though! :D Lubs dat bum-binga! :eek:

(Of course the Sonus Special also has a bubinga top...)

7. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanx gard, but I meant that I currently own a '97 thumb n/t 5 string w/ a wenge neck that I'm considering selling since I can't afford it and the Zon. Thanx though.;)

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The profile on the Zon neck is thinner, but the string spacing is pretty similar. If the spacing on the Zon is any wider, it's not by much.

My decision? I would pick the Zon. But what I like may not be what you like.:)

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Actually, unless you get the Thumb bolt-on with the "wide-thin" option, I believe the Thumb's string spacing is considerably narrower than the Zon. I'll measure a Thumb N/T tomorrow to compare the actual distances (already measured my Special earlier today and posted that in another thread: 11/16").

10. embellisher

You may be right. My Zon just feels narrow compared to my 3/4" spaced Pedulla.

11. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Would any of you ( and this might be a dumb question) recommend buying a zon to someone who loves the sound of the low mid range growl of the special 5 and warwicks but has never had the oppritunity to try any zon at all? I love the feel of jazz basses and musicmans and at one time owned a flea bass and loved the feel but never really love the sound of any of these. Even though I live in austin the nearest store to have a zon is like 800 miles away and thats a little far to drive to a small town for a 5 min. visit. Like I said before I've got a great deal on one but would have to sell my current bass to get it(god I hate money).Whatya think??:( :D :confused: Also Gard it would be just killer if you could tell me the measurement of the thumb in realation to the zon, and since you own both what do you think would be better in a fretted??? Thanx again.:)

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    all normal spacing warwick 5's have 16.5 mm (+ or - a few, they're adjustable) spacing at the bridge with a 1.77 inch wide nut.

13. embellisher

Fixer, I say that you make a trip to Dallas, more specifically to a suburb to the east called Garland. Go to Speir Music, and try 2 or 3 Zon's. While you are there, try a Status, a couple of Roscoes, 3 or 4 Laklands, a Fender FMT Jazz V, and a couple of Fender Custom shop models.

After you get done, go next door to Zoo music and try out a few Pedullas and Peavey Cirrus and Millenium Plus models.

While you are in the neighborhood, go down the street to Larry Morgan music and try 2 Foderas, 3 Modulus, and 5 or 6 real high end Alembics. And don't forget to try them through their Aguilar setup!

14. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanx embellisher, I just might do that;) but of those you just listed I've tried them all except the zon. Let me ask just one more question and I'll let the thread die:( . Do the sonus special 5 fretted and the Warwick thumb n/t 5 have a similiar sound tone wise???:confused: THANX ALOT GUYS:p . ,FiXeR

15. embellisher

I don't have enough experience with the Special to answer that question. Perhaps Gard or DM or one of the other Special owners can answer the question?