Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon special and Warwick Thumb. Pros and cons?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What are the pros and cons of these 2 types of basses. I have a deal where I can trade My thumb towards a special and need to know if I should do it. Also it might be worth noting that this is the only thumb I've ever played that did'nt dive towards the floor since the strap button was built higher in the bass body than others I've seen(It's a '97). What do you think?:confused: And are the tonal characteristics of each pretty similiar?

2. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I think you would find the Zon Sonus Special feels "faster" as the neck isn't as thick from front to back...the bass will also be WAY lighter than the thumb.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Do you have pix of the Zon? Tonally, I wouldn't have a problem with either. You'd be able to get some new flavors with the Zon. If you're looking for a new vibe, I say go for it.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sorry Woodchuck but I don't have any pix. Why do you ask? I'm currently looking for something that slaps a little better(i.e. clearer tone).;)

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    I asked because I get the Zon Sonus models mixed up. Dude, go for the Zon. Does it have a wood or phenolic fingerboard?

6. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It has the phenolic fingerboard and its the zon model with the bart. pickups up close to the bridge, much like the thumb but not angled. It also has a bubinga top over ash body.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Get it!!!!!

8. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    So woodchuck you think IYHO that its agood trade even though its a 5 string for a 4 string? I just need a little positive peer pressure ( I'm so weak:oops: ):p .

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Oh, a 4. Hmmmm, are you sure that you can do without the B string. Man, if it was a 5'er, I say yeah, but a 4.......
    If you're good without the B, then give it a shot. You'd definately get the tone you're after.

10. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Actually, it has a PHENOWOOD fretboard. It is resin impregnated birch, so it feels like wood, and is harder than ebony. It doesn't look like the shiny plastic glossy black stuff anymore...

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    pd: Thanks for the info. Somehow I felt that I misspelled that! :eek:

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Hmm. So the Thumb is a 5 and the Zon is a 4? That seems to me like the most important question - how do you feel about losing the string?

I'm not sure, given the pickups and placement, that the Special is going to have much of a clearer slap tone than the Thumb. The Sonus Custom, on the other hand. . .

13. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Two different worlds of tone, if you ask me. But if both were the same price and condition, I'd pick the Zon.

14. Agreed. Go for the Zon!

It's got a great crisp, focused slap tone. It also tracks well in the studio. I play many different styles and my Zons can always accomodate.

I like the customer service too. You call Zon Guitars and you talk to Joe Zon.

15. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    I'd take the Zon, have you listened to Pd_5string's sound sample's?

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ...i'd keep the warwick. i didn't like how the zon felt and thought it was missing mids. but i don't like how barts sound in general so......they're very different.....peep...

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Errrr....

You obviously ain't heard a Sonus Special. :eek:

;)

Trust me, the Special has plenty of mids, and a bunch of other fun stuff. Not to mention the very comfy neck, MUCH lighter weight, and better ergonomics.

If it were a 5 string to 5 string trade, there would be no choice for me!

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    FiXer, look at it this way: either way you win!
    Warwick5S: I feel ya'! ;)

19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Zon basses?

weird name.

can't you guys just stick to Fenders and concentrate on the music?

jeez!

:rolleyes:

f

20. Deano Destructo

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think I'm almost ready to make the trade, but i started out on a 5'er almost 11yrs. ago and at this point JT's monsters look less scary than the unfamiliar feeling of a 4. I don't ever seem to use the b string above the 5th fret(An E) anyway though. So it seems hard to justify not playing a 4. I've also never felt the call of a 6'er before, so thats out. The ultimate factor is that I can hammer on a 4 like nobodies buisness though. Mabye from first playing a 5 a 4 just feels so easy yet still unfamiliar to me.
    How long do you think the transition might take for me to get used to?:confused:
    I do think I'm about to make the deal though.
    You hear that Gard? Theres about to be another ZON-BIE around!!!!:eek: ;) (stumbles like zombie towards kitchen)