Zon string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I can't find any info on Joe's site about the string spacing at the bridge.

Is it my imagination or is the spacing similar to the Modulus. I played 5 different Zons the other day, including a real sweet Legacy but the spacing seemed a bit too tight compared to what I'm use to on my Fenders, Sadowsky, MTD and Lakland.

2. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    5 string or 4?

3. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    5 stringers

4. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I just measured...approx 15mm
    (between E and B strings)

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks Peter....that's kinda what I thought.

6. Zon has the Sonus 519 model which is a 5 string w/19mm spacing. Similar to the 3/4" Lakland spacing. BassNW had a sweet one for sale on their website but it has since been sold.:(

From the website:

5-string model with two custom-wound linear coil pickups and 3 band active circuit. 35" scale. wide 19mm string spacing. Natural ash body.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The spacing on my Legacy Standard 5 was a little tighter than I wanted it so I adjusted the spacing asymmetrically. I have more space on the high strings and less on the lows. Works great, as I don't really need to get between the B and E strings very often.

8. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Is that measured from the center of the strings? So its 60mm B-G? I think I want a ZON now... Can't stand 19mm spacing on a fiver.

9. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I measured it BETWEEN the strings.

10. I'm pretty sure it would be 17mm on center, which is common on a lot of the 'narrower spaced' five strings.

11. Each to their own... I personally don't like the narrower spacing on a five string.;)