Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon string spacing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I can't find any info on Joe's site about the string spacing at the bridge.

Is it my imagination or is the spacing similar to the Modulus. I played 5 different Zons the other day, including a real sweet Legacy but the spacing seemed a bit too tight compared to what I'm use to on my Fenders, Sadowsky, MTD and Lakland.

2. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
  3. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
  4. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I just measured...approx 15mm
    (between E and B strings)

5. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks Peter....that's kinda what I thought.

6. Zon has the Sonus 519 model which is a 5 string w/19mm spacing. Similar to the 3/4" Lakland spacing. BassNW had a sweet one for sale on their website but it has since been sold.:(

From the website:

5-string model with two custom-wound linear coil pickups and 3 band active circuit. 35" scale. wide 19mm string spacing. Natural ash body.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The spacing on my Legacy Standard 5 was a little tighter than I wanted it so I adjusted the spacing asymmetrically. I have more space on the high strings and less on the lows. Works great, as I don't really need to get between the B and E strings very often.

8. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Is that measured from the center of the strings? So its 60mm B-G? I think I want a ZON now... Can't stand 19mm spacing on a fiver.

9. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I measured it BETWEEN the strings.

10. I'm pretty sure it would be 17mm on center, which is common on a lot of the 'narrower spaced' five strings.

11. Each to their own... I personally don't like the narrower spacing on a five string.;)