Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Strings - how do you contact them - WARNING!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Last week I ordered some strings via the Zon Guitars website - it took me to the Yahoo site for credit card ordering:

http://store.yahoo.com/zonguitars/info.html

Now I gave my details and placed the order for 2 day air shipping. So a week later - nothing - so I thought I'd check on the progress - the email I received about the order gave a URL for this , but when I followed it - no details!!

So I replied to the email I had received and also emailed the customer service at Zon - customerservice@zonguitars.com .

But both messages have been returned with "permanent fatal errors" - so anyone any ideas how I contact them? I'm not going to phone from the UK to the US, but I can't find any way - my last resort was a link which allowed you to "rate" this service and I thought if I put a really bad rating they might contact me! But when I tried this I got the message :"The URL you entered is not valid."

So - is the Zon site working - this seems particularly bad customer service to me and gives a very bad impression of what I had thought was a reputable company? :(

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, Bruce,

I noticed that for International shipping it says, "International Shipping: These rates are dependant on the geographic loaction of the country and town. Please contact us for details and rates."

So, even if you paid the $10 for 2 Day Air, my guess is that it won't get them to you in the UK. They might have shipped them regular snail-mail, or they might be waiting for you to contact them for further info. Can't explain the email thing, though.
    If you want, I'd be happy to call them for you, as it is a toll free call state-to-state.

Are you sure they charged your CC? Sometimes, they will authorize the charge, and never send it through for processing. It's possible they never charged you since they weren't able to talk to you about the correct amount of shipping.

As a last resort, if nothing can be solved dealing with Zon, and you paid by a credit card, you can always dispute the charge, and let your CC company deal with them.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I only get a credit card statement once a month, so won't know for a while whether they have charged me or not.

When I placed the order, it did give me the choice of UK and calculated the rate automatically.

Thanks for the offer of phoning them - maybe you could ask them why their email customer services address (customerservice@zonguitars.com )doesn't work - I get messages like :

"The following addresses had permanent fatal errors"

Maybe they aren't aware of this problem and could give an alternative email address for correspondence?

Thanks again,

Bruce

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i've noticed a few websites had problems recently. i think it has something to do with domain name registration renewals, which recently came due. i bet some folks are dealing with domain name mix-ups. that could be the problem here.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well I'd really like to try the strings and am happy to wait a few weeks if necessary, so I don't really want to block the charge - I just want to be able to check that they are "on the way".

Maybe somebody should tell Zon that there is a problem with their domain name or whatever, as otherwise it gives (potential) customers a bad impression?

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'll start from the beginning...

About two weeks ago, I put a 5-string set of Zon nickel UltraSonics (which I like) on my bass, but the A-string was dead.

Next, I e-mailed Zon, using the customer service link on the Zon website, to see if they would do anything for me. A few hours later, the e-mail was returned (I forgot the specific error message that came with the returned e-mail). The next day, I tried to send another e-mail and I got the same results. At this point I thought I was just going to have to eat the A-string.

Surprise! On June 14, I received an e-mail from Joe Zon apologizing for the delayed reply (obviously, my e-mails eventually got through) and stating that his e-mail had been down for weeks, and it had just been repaired. Apparently, Zon is still having e-mail problems. Also, Joe Zon is sending me a new A-string @ zero cost to me :) .

At this point, I would be willing to give Zon the benefit of the doubt. I believe that Zon Guitars is a reputable company, and that Joe Zon and his customers are suffering because of Zon Guitar's technical difficulties :( .

Bruce, I hope your strings arrive soon. Also, FWIW, Musician's Friend has Zon strings for sale on their website, but they're not in stock yet :mad: .

7. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'll give them a call when the left coast wakes up. It's 6am there, now.

I'll ask them if they are having any problems with email, and such.

Hell, I'm just at work-- I have nothing better to do!

:- D

8. Bruce Lindfield

Thanks for all the help and info guys - I think this shows just how useful a resource TalkBass can be! :D

9. Bruce Lindfield

Oh well - I was a bit premature! The strings came today and I had an email from Zon customer services saying they were sent on 13 June, so it's just been a case of the time taken to get from US to UK and they must have had problems with their email.

So Zon seem like they are pretty good at sending out stuff - just don't worry about their website problems - as Slater said!

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Glad to hear you got things straightened out, Bruce. I started reading and was about to offer to call Joe too! I've found, since getting one of his basses (and boy am I a happy camper about that), that Joe and company are VERY customer service oriented, and had he known there was a problem he would have jumped right on it.

That said, I hope you like the strings. I had a set on my Sonus Special when I got it, and can't say they worked for me. My experience was that the B string was a bit "boomy" and louder than the other 4. Replaced them with a set of my old fav's (GHS Supersteel Contact Core), and solved that problem. Other than the volume/boomy problem, they sounded and felt very good.

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I just received and installed the A-string Joe Zon promised me to replace the "dead" one that I got in my 5-string set. The new A-string sounds fine.

A big "thumbs-up" for Joe Zon!

(Now, if I could only afford to buy one of his basses :( :D )

12. Bruce Lindfield

Yes it seems they are pretty good really - they must have mailed the strings the same day I placed the order. But their email and website is still not working properly for me - I tried to email again today to say that I had got them now, but got error messages again, although a bit later I got another reply from "Joe Zon"! So it seems the messages get through, despite the error messages. :confused:

I do like the strings actually - we had a three hour band rehearsal last night and I was really pleased with the sound I was getting - I tried a light gauge set and wondered whether, it might be less bassy; but these are great - the G is really bright for "popping" and the other strings are very good for finger-style - things like ghost notes sound very good.

I wasn't aware of a boomy B, I'll listen out for this. I am very impressed and at the moment I like them almost as much as D'Addario Slowounds and the upside is that they offer a variety of gauges, which suit me better than the D'Addarios which only had 130 B strings.

13. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I am a big fan of Slowounds, as well. Granted, I've been using TI Jazz Flats on most of my basses. I'll have to check these out when I restring my Pallaedium.

Glad you got them okay, and are happy with them.

14. I think they have a toll free phone number 800-play-zon or 888-play-zon
    Zon is a great company! Mark Hohman is a good ****.

15. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I just got a set on nickel Zon strings for my new to me Modulus 5 and so far I'm impressed. They sound great, let's see how long they last.