Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Studio 5... strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassfroggy, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Hi there,

I purchased my first 5 string and this Zon Studio 5 is awesome (really flexible electronic and great sound).
    Been playing on Status 4 string for a while and with a habit of slapping everything, I couldn't get used to smaller string spacing. 19mm is the thing for me. And you could also guess that I couldn't do without graphite.

Anyway, has anyone setup a 5 string with light gauge like 40-60-80-100-120 and even better, did it on this bass?
    I play light on my 4 string (with DR's Hi-Beam) but I am wondering how it would sounds with a low B set at 120 instead of a 125+. I can feel a huge difference between a 40 and a 45 as well as a 95 and 100.
    The strings that came with it are fine and give a nice growl but I don't feel comfie with them... maybe I need more time playing.

Thanks for your inputs,
    Antony

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I use .120-.040 sets on most of my basses now. I use low action and they work and sound great.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I put a set of TI Power Bass rounds on my new RB5, and I like them. They take a lighter touch than the heavy stuff I have on other basses. I think the B string is a .119 in that set, with some other funky gauges on the others. Quite a bit thinner than the .125 - .135s I have on my other basses. In fact, I think my TI Jazz Flats have a .136 B string.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Are .120 - .040 sets getting easier to find? I might like to try a set on a couple of my basses. Can you get that gauge in a 6 set?

BTW - I am moving this to Strings.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pretty easy IME. I've been using DR Fatbeams (SS) in that guage for months now. I think SIT has a Nickel set in that guage too. I think I might have .125 on most of my sixes. That's about as heavy as I go.

6. Antony,
    I have always played 040-060-080-100-120 or 125 on my basses, and I much prefer them. If you have fat fingers they may feel a bit insubstantial, like you're playing dental floss, but I love them!

Zon makes strings in those gauges. DR can make their strings in that gauge, also Ken Smith. Those are all the brands that I have tried and liked. I use stainless on my fretted and nickel on my fretless and am very pleased with the results.