Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Tribute basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassjigga, Dec 4, 2003.

1. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Has anyone tried the new Zon Tribute basses. Just curious to hear any thoughts...

Dave

2. Hey,

There was a review of the Zon Tribute and Pro in Bass player magazine last month! If I remember right the guy reviewing prefered the Pro over the Tribute.

3. bassjigga

bassjigga

Aug 6, 2003
    Really? I haven't been able to find it. Are you sure it was Bass Player magazine?

Dave

4. I think he's talking about the UK publication. I know that they were promising to review the Zon Tribute in the last issue I read.

I don't think their current issue is here yet in the states. Sometimes you can find it at Borders.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Yep - it's at Borders now. Just bought it tonight.

6. Howdy

/me holds head down in shame!

Sorry chaps it wasnt Bass Player mag, it was Guitar Player Bass!! The Issue has a picture of Gene Simmons and Tom Hamilton on the front!

Sorry.

/If you want I scan ya the pages of the review?

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    tride a few at last year's NANN shot.

i gioe her's gringing some this year.

f

wow, who are you and what have you done with fhodshon!?!?!?!?

8. Yeah man! Who could say no to that? I'd go totally mental with glee!

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I think the Tribute looks like a Peavey. It's pretty blah looking, and overall, probobly not the best move by Zon to introduce it. I don't think the demand for them is very high.

10. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im not real into zon basses, whats the difference with the tribute. Is it like the tribute series of G&L's that is a lower priced series?

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, the Tribute is an "overseas" bass, but it has a wood neck and fingerboard. I don't believe there is any graphite on the Tribute's, but I could be wrong. There really nothing special to the Tribute. It's just another import bass. Now if Zon could somehow come out with an import bass with a composite neck and board at a reduced price, then they might have something. After all, when one thinks of a Zon, you automaticly think compsite neck, right?

12. I don't know what Peavey it looks like, but I agree that the Tribute is pretty blah. It reminds me of the Carvin LB/XB body: not ugly, but not visually enticing.

What bugs me the most is that the headstock is different. It's as if Zon is trying too hard to "protect" its upper end models.

That's not the recipe for success, IMO. I would have hoped that Zon followed the Lakland Skyline approach of giving almost 100% of what you get in the U.S. models.

It's called the "Tribute" but what is it a tribute to? Certainly not to any existing Zon model. At the least the G&L Tribute truly pays tribute to the U.S. models.

After such a long wait for the Zon Tribute, so much disappointment....

13. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I know that the Tribute is built overseas. The Tribute Pro is built at the Zon shop in Redwood City. The only reason I could think of the headstock difference on the Tribute would be that it's a totally different animal from the Zon line.

14. Ive scanned the review and will up it in a bit. There is a difference in the electrics as well it think.

15. I wish Zon would update their website. They haven't since 2000.

16. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I don't see any problem with that. It's a completely different kind of bass, why should it look like a Sonus?!

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    If you want a Zon, get the REAL deal ;)

18. You'll have to ask Joe Zon. The Sonus and Hyperbass are a completely different kind of bass, yet share a common headstock.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah. I see models selling used on Ebay that aren't listed as available on the website.:(

Mr. Goody Good, the Hyperbass may be quite a bit different than a Sonus, but the body is based on the Legacy, and they all have composite necks.

So I think that to release an import model that has a wood neck, doesn't have the same electronics, and isn't hand made, but looks just like the real deal, would be a bad move on Zon's part.

The Tribute has the Zon brand, but not the things that make a Zon a Zon. Why create confusion by making it look just like the USA model?

Lakland Skylines are very nice for the price, but IMHO in the long run they will hurt the resale of the USA models.

Used D55-01 for $800, or used D55-94 for $1800? There are some who will pay the difference for US hand finished quality, but I think that the majority would go for the used Skyline for less than half the price. Heck, you can even get a brand new Skyline for a few hundred less than a used USA model.

IMHO, MTD got the import bass formula right. Tobias designed, looks similar to a USA, but different enough that you can tell them apart at a distance.

20. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL

You are missing 1 VERY important factor....all the basses with the same headstocks are graphite-necked basses.