Zon Ultrasonics for 5-string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Diezel420, Mar 2, 2001.

1. Well, how are Zon Ultrasonics? Anyone got opinions? Suggestions would be much appreciated.
  2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've got a 5-string nickel set in my bass case, but I'm not due to slap 'em on my bass 'til I wear out the strings that are on it.
    (I only bought them 'cause the salesman gave me a great deal-less than $20. I hope they're decent.)
    If this thread is still lurking around in a few weeks, It should be time for a string change and then I can post my opinion.
  3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've used Ultrasonic Stainless 5 and 6 string sets and they compare favorably to other strings I like--Dean Markley, Peavey and DR. They sound deep, clear and detailed, and felt pretty flexible for their gauge. I much preferred them to a Pedulla stainless set I got around the same time. If you ever go to Gelb Music in Redwood City, CA Zon strings are super cheap--The Zon factory is across town and I think they get promo prices.
  4. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    I have just received a new Zon Sonus Studio 5. I have tried their strings before on my Zon Sonus Special 5 but trying them again with this new bass, they are fabulous. The clarity and tone I get out of these strings are amazing.

I say try some....I think you will like them.....if not maybe try Fodera strings...they are also quit good.

I like Zon's better.
  5. They sounded ok, but I did not care for the way they feel. They came on my Zon Sonus Custom 5. I took them off after trying them for a while and put on D'addario.
    Have not tried the Fodera strings yet.
  6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I bought a 5 string set of these on a promo at GC to put on my Roscoe Beck 5 and was quite pleased. I thought the feel was much better and the B string seemed less floppy and more focused. I wish that I would have bought several sets while they were cheap. Oh and they have lasted quite awhile with no noticable tone change.