Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon users unite! Share pics and info!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ok, I started this thread because I've recently become infatuated with Zons. I have played lotsa' great gear and also own some other nice stuff, too.

Anyway, in the quest for my perfect fretless, I lucked into a Zon Sonus 5 Special, and it totally blew me away. Because of this, I went out and killed myself financially to get into a fretted Sonus 5 with some custom upgrades. Thanks/shout out to Adrian at AccessBass.com for being such a great dealer.

Things I've discovered...

1.) Zon quality and customer service are awesome. Yes, I've read the posts about the rare fingerboard issue, but I think those are VERY rare (or maybe even non-existent these days.) I have a few specific Zon customer service glory stories, but I'll shorten this post without them. Bottom line: Great company.

2.) "Sterile sounding": Should be posted on snopes.com as a bogus rumor (prolly started by some competitor) IMHO. I'm extremely particular about tone and depth, and Zons have it NAILED.

3.) 34" scale does NOT mean a dead or floppy B string. Not only do these things have a great natural tone, but they also benefit from the advantages of composites: sustain for days, perfect action no matter what the environment, no dead spots, light weight, etc..

For those "curious", TRY ONE, but you better (not?) have your visa handy... ;)

Anyway, to get things started...

Pics of my Zons:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Show your stuff and share your thoughts, too!! :)

2. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    This thread is evil... :help:

3. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    ...nice... sure, make me feel bad for needing the lines... ;)

Someday I'll get good enough, tho. I totally love the lineless look. :)

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Did you buy that Flamed Redwood Zon from Adrian? It looks GORGEOUS! If you didn't, you should! (so I won't be so tempted) <grin>

PS: I bought my F-Bass from Adrian. It was a GREAT experience dealing with a professional bassist who KNOWS his instruments! I hear great things about Zon's and that Flamed redwood is stunning! Thanks for starting the thread. Will be nice to see other posts. - Gary

5. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yes, I'm a VERY happy AccessBass'er. In fact, that fretless is one Adrian intended for himself, but circumstances opened up an opportunity for me to get my grubby little hands on it, and it was all over for me! That's why its pic is actually on his Zon page, as opposed to the "in stock now" page. I also grabbed the pic from the Zon page which is the piece of redwood which became the top on my fretted. :)

You got that right about Adrian, too. I'd love to try an F someday, but am afraid (if you know what I mean.) Also, I have a Roscoe 5, and LOVE it!!! :)

6. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Definately agree with that crazy sterile business. Zon basses sound extremely full. I was playing a classic Zon 5-string and man, it's one of those basses where you just can't stop playing it, it sounds almost too good.

7. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I have a 5 string sonus 5-1 with a single humbucker. It sounds great, deep bass, clear highs, and really aggressive mid's when you dig in.

It's great for Metal, rock, funk stuff, and i love it. Though i wish i got a 2 pickup system as i cant dial in boomy bass reggae tones, or P bass style chunkin. Alas that forced me to get a sadowsky metro, though i still plan to play my Zon on lots of my tunes.

One day id like to get that studio 5....*droolies* ;)

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
  9. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Oh great , more tempations...doh!

Well, probably wont get another Zon for a while as i already have 2. One reason i am getting a sadowsky is for variation....more tools for the job y'know...

1200.00 for a 5 string zon is a awesome deal though!! :eek:

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I have to post here and say thanks to Vic for all the kind words-
    THANK YOU, VIC !!
    but the fact is that Vic is a very honest person who has a lot of integrity and it has been MY pleasure dealing with him, so I am the fortunate one.
    As for the Zons... awesome basses with ridiculous playability, basses you can travel with with no worries, deep BIG tone, and a wonderful finish that LASTS!
    I am fortunate to offer them.. and there are some outrageous deals on some used ones out there, as pointed out on this thread-
    again, Thanks for all the kind words, Vic -- you da man!- Adrian

11. Baseman

Baseman

Mar 31, 2004
    Hey Adrian,

I picked up your old Red Modulus Q6 from Tommy Snellgrove over at Premier... he said you took it on tour. Wanna trade for that Redwood Zon you have? ;)

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    ...ahem... "had". See the initial post here... ;)

13. Baseman

Baseman

Mar 31, 2004
    Oh man... you know, I knew that too. I'm gettin' old. Awesome basses BTW. I'm waitin' on a Zon Vinny VB4 due to arrive next month.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    had,bro... indeed.
    Hey! that modulus went all over the world with me!
    Just about every country in South America, Hong Kong, England, the Caribbean... we had a blast ! especially in Argentina ! :D
    Tommy also has the one bass i wish i had not sold, Tobias Signature #404 - that was beforemy hopeless GAS - i played that Tobias for 11 years without ever even looking at another bass- Tell Tommy i said hi, and that i thought he was going to call me when he came to Vegas...
    you hear Tommy play? he's got chops !

15. Baseman

Baseman

Mar 31, 2004
    That's exactly what Tommy said. I haven't talked to him since the sale, but he is definately a great guy to talk to. Extremely helpful. Keep gettin' those smokin' Zons in and I might be calling you. Take care.

16. ZonMaster

ZonMaster

Jun 18, 2004
    maybe Kansas
    This is the superbass. It was a lot superer before I dropped it setting it up for this pic. :eek: It survived ok despite slapping the floor. I heard it sliding off the amp about the time I starting looking at the camera. :bawl: imanidiotimanidiotimanidiotimanidiotimanidiot

:eek: :mad: :rollno:

Geeeez... I'm not having any luck getting over this. I'm going to bed to sleep it off.

17. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    OH don't sweat it, it happens! You can't baby your bass TOO much, it's unhealthy, a bass is a tool. from the looks of the pic it seemed to have survived. Last time I dropped my bass it lost a chunk. (it's an ARIA though so not THAT big a deal, I understand where you're coming from. If I had a ZON I'd baby it too)

18. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Long time Zonite, and long time Zon Avatar user

<---

2 fretted, 2 fretless, all great, but Im down to one. Though I can't afford it, I sure would like to get a Sonus 6.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

Same here, on both counts. Got this back in 1997. Legacy Standard fretless 5.

[​IMG]
    :D

20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Beautiful!