Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

zon vb-5 . Any users?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eots, Jan 26, 2006.

1. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
  2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
  3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I ordered a VB4 over a year ago, and loved it. I stupidly sold it because I wasn't playing 4-strings at the time and it was just sitting there. I ended up missing it, so it's on its way back home.

These are great basses. Fun to play, and have a great tone. I think they're a bargain.

4. TBalls

TBalls

Mar 18, 2005
    Boston
    I'm a HUGE fan of Zon basses, so if you ask me you can't go wrong. In terms of construction & electronics, you're getting features very similar to the top-of-the-line Legacy Elite models (composite set neck, bartolini active electronics, etc.). It's almost like you're getting a $3000 bass in a compact, headless design, and you're paying half as much.
    If you're looking for something more traditional, I'd suggest maybe looking for a used Zon Sonus 5-string. One thing I can say from personal experience is that Zon basses are about as rugged & versatile as it gets.

5. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I have one on order. it was due to arrive before Christmas bu there's appareently a delay in the p'ups and preamp from Bartolini. I spoke with Joe Z right before NAMM and he said he thought it would ship before the end of January.

I haven't played one, and did a search back in Sept or Oct (when I ordered it) for anyone who had. I think Halftooth had tried one out at Zon's shop.

Mine will be a standard VB5 (ash body, natural finish). The only addition will be swamp ash ramp to march the body.

I'll post impressions and pics when it arrives.

6. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Bartonlini is ALWAYS the cause of delays. Same thing happened to me.

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I played a VB4 and loved it, and missed getting AJ's Vinny by about *this* much. I caught it just in time to see the gavel drop. Dang! I have been seriously thinking about a VB5 as a partner to my Sonus. I'm spoiled rotten by that bass.

8. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island

You mean this one?

[​IMG]

I will have this back in my grubby little hands by Saturday.

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    As far as Zon goes or me, this is the one...

[​IMG] :D

As for the VB, it looks like a neat little bass. I dig the headless vibe too, I love headless basses! I've never had the pleasure of trying one, but I'm sure I've seen Michael Manring using one...

10. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I love the Legacy too. Sweet.

11. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I didn't play the Vinny 5, but I did play the 4 string, and I did think it was a great bass at that price. I did prefer the Sonus models overall, but for the money, the Vinny is a better value. I think that owning a very compact, headless bass makes a lot sense, and I think at some point I'll own another. In fact, I've decided that I'd like to have one with the Sonus Special pickup spacing to go along with my Special 5.