Zon VB4 tuning

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Basslover, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Basslover

Feb 3, 2005
    Hello Michael and everyone,

I have been thinking about getting a new bass for awhile and love the look/sound of the Zon VB4. I like to change up my tunings every once in a while and was curious to know if this is any more difficult to do on a headless bass than a standard bass? e.g. Is it more difficult or does it take any longer to change an E to an F? I would very much appreciate some info on the subject from anyone who is familiar with this unique bass. Thanks!
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I've seen michael do some pretty extreme tuning changes on Vinny on a gig, so I don't think it can be that much of a problem. It'll just take practice like any other retuning situation.

3. Basslover

Feb 3, 2005
    Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds good!
  4. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    This is an interesting question as I've found that some detuning bridges are a bear to use and really would deter you from doing any tuning changes you didn't absolutely have to. Fortunately, none of the VB4s I've played suffers from this problem. Changing tunings is just about as easy as on any other bass.
  5. Widener

Nov 21, 2004
    Aptos, CA
    When I picked my Hyperbass up from the Zon factory, I played on a VB4 that was lying around, fell in love with it in 0.03563 seconds, and ordered one on the spot! It's going to be ready in a couple weeks. I'm so excited!

My back is really bad after military service and I can't heft my Warwick anymore. Thirteen pounds is just too heavy. The VB4 looks to be the answer.