1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zon Vinny 5 info ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RG, Apr 29, 2006.

1. RG

RG

May 11, 2000
    central Illinois
    According to Zon website, these basses are direct order only and not found in stores. Has anyone played one? If so, what is your opinion? Sound ,playability, what they might compare to,etc. Thanks
    BTW I did a search but found limited information.

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    I own one, and I love it. I actually sold it out of a fit if delirium, but had to buy it back when I came to my senses. As far as the tone, to me they are very 'natural' or woody sounding. The best recorded example I can find is Michael Manring's rendition of 'Sugar' from the Bass Day '98 DVD.

To me they're great for every style... fingerstyle, slap, tap, whatever.

I'll try to get some sound clips up soon for you.

3. I've played a few, but neither were 5's.

The Vinny is a really cool idea, but I still prefer the sound and feel of both the Sonus and Custom over the Vinny.

To me, the Vinny serves more of a purpose than anything else. If you're looking for a really small/lightweight bass for travel, I think this is the one. But for a stand-alone 5, for me, I think it's a better deal going with a Sonus or Custom.

4. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    watching Manring play a 4 string Vinny is something I will not forget

5. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I've had mine since February. It's a great bass.

*Weight= 7lbs 10oz
    *17mm spacing (a little tight for some but now that I've gotten accustomed to it I like it)
    *Sound is terrific-- way better then other basses I've owned or tried out
    *the fret work on this bass is the best I've encountered
    *I like the flat finish-- it doesn't show fingerprints or smudges at all and seems to be very durable
    *the neck is just right-- not too thick or too thin (IMO)

It's a really nice bass. I will not part with mine!

6. RG

RG

May 11, 2000
    central Illinois
    Thanks to everyone for the information. I THINK I'll call Zon and see what kind satisfaction guarantee they might have.I just hate to buy something sight unseen, or played.