Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Vinny 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dunamis, Oct 8, 2005.

1. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Has anyone tried the 5 string version of the Vinny?

I'm close to pulling the trigger, but Vinny's are fairly rare and the 5 string Vinny even more so. I'm hoping to get feedback from someone who's had direct experience with the 5 string version.

Thanks!

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I believe I played one when I was at Joe's place a little while back and thought it was a pretty cool little bass, but at the price, I decided that I prefer the larger models better, specificly the Custom and the Special. I'd like to have a bass that is transportable that can fit into the overhead of an airplane, but at over 2K direct from Joe, I decided against it.

3. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Thanks for the reply. I'm interested in the Vinny not only for it's size and especially it's light weight, but also because it's a headless design, has a graphite neck, 34" scale, and 17mm spacing.

How was the B?

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I really can't remember to tell you the truth, but it wasn't anything mindblowing good or bad, just decent. It's hard for me to find the right words to describe the Vinny. It's really cool, small, light-weight, transportable, etc, but at the same time, it felt a bit inferior to me compared to the other high-end Zons. This isn't to say that I'd never own a Vinny at some point, but I wouldn't rush out to drop over 2K on one either.