1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zon Vinny owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Clay_Bass, May 7, 2006.

1. Anyone here who owns a vinny Id love if you could tell me about yours like what options you got and how often you use it etc. Im thinking a fretless 4 and was wondering if the fingerboard on the fretless vinnys is simmilar to the finished fingerboards on manrings basses and the hyperbass?

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    I've got a fretted Vinny 4-string that I ordered with a California Walnut top and the abalone dots. It's killer. I actually sold it about 6 months ago, but missed it so much I bought it back. This little bass sounds huge and it has a nice 'woody' tone. I always tell people the best representative of the sound is Manring's rendition of "Sugar" on the Bass Day '98 DVD/CD.

As far as the fretboard, it's composite/phenolic like all Zon boards. I believe Manring's hyperbass has a finish similar to epoxy, if I'm not mistaken, so they may not be the same. However, you should just get one. For less then $2k, you'll get a killer bass that's a blast to play, and it sounds good.

Next to Valenti basses, the Zon Vinny is the best value in the bass world.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Haha i dont need to know what they sound like since I got to see him from about 5 feet away play it for an hour in a class and then he did this crazy two handed tapping version of Mercy Mercy Mercy playing the bass and melody on it. I was just wondering about the finish because from what I could see his fretless sonus and other basses that are fretless made by zon all had the hyper bass finish on the fingerboard. Do you have any experience doing something outside of the normal on a zon order? maybe they could do a different finish for some extra cash if it has a different finish. I basically want to be able to get that manring fretless slap sound along with a nice fretless mwah for doing jazz stuff.

4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    I've got a Sonus fretless that doesn't have the 'Manring' finish. However, it does have all the mwah in the world. As far as non-standard orders, I did talk to Joe about a bolt-on 6-string Vinny, which is definately out of the norm, and he will accomodate the request. You might want to give Joe a call about the fingerboard finish.