Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon vs F Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grooveguru, Apr 13, 2004.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Wondered what everyone thought of these 2 basses. I haven't played either one. Let's hear your thoughts!

2. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I was thinking of Sonus Custom 5 and F Bass BN5 if that helps

3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    They are both amazing basses. I am still partial to Zon though.

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I recently took possession of an Amazing F Bass BN5. It can be seen on the exotic tops page of the F Bass Website. Mine is the Cherryburst BN5 with Quilt Maple top - Says owned by Gary Roberts. That would be me. Can't compare to a Zon since it's been years since I played a Zon. I LOVE my BN5. It has so much tonal versatility and character, plays great and has an amazing B string. PM if you have any specific questions about F Bass BN5.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, I own both, and all that I can say is that they are totally different beasts. The Zon has that graphite sound, and the Fbass has the typical J bass sound, so it really depends what you're after.
    I like the Zons for a lot of technical and tapping stuff. The scale length, 34' scale, and the nearly dead straight neck accomodate for that style of playing really well. I also like the fact that you never need to adjust the action due to weather changes. The Sonus Customs are defintley versitile with the Zon ZP-2 preamp, but I tend to find myself using other basses for basc all around playing. I guess that's part of the luxery of being able to own many different basses to choose from. I do think though that the Sonus Custom is one of the better all around Zons out there.
    The Fbass is another great bass but I wouldn't use it for any technical stuff that I would be doing. I have found issues with the neck when setting the action really low. It had a hard time staying straight with light guage strings and super low action. Other than that issue, I loved the bass. It balances well when strapped, and you get a lot of versitility in sound.
    Overall, they are both top notch basses, and I would always like to own both in my arsenal. Deciding on which to buy though really would have to do with the type of playing you do for the most part. If you're looking for an all around player, I would say go with the fbass. I don't own a fretless, but when I do, I will without a doubt be buying a Zon. They absolutley have that amazing fretless sound down.

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    oof.

f

7. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Thanks!

8. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    yeah uhhhh.
    I bought a Zon because it DIDN't have a graphite sound. In fact, some of them are the warmest most organic sounding basses on the planet.