Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon vs. Modulous

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    Ignorance is showing again. what are the strengths and weaknesses of each? discuss.;)

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've owned a pair of Zon Sonus fretless 5's and currently own a Modulus Q5 and a Q6.

It is more a matter of personal preference than anything else with Zon/Modulus. I personally think the workmanship on the Modulus basses is better than it is on Zon basses but the difference is very slight.

It would be best to play samples of each and pick the one that "speaks" to you.

Chuck

3. Modulus basses are graphite necks with a variety of standard fingerboard woods or a compisite, the Zon basses use a composite materiel for the neck and Phenowood for the fingerboard. I think Modulus has added truss rods to their necks, but Zon does not have a truss rod. Zon now has a wood neck bass called the Tribute, and Modulus has graphite/wood layered neck on one model, but I don't remember which one.

Bottom line, there are minor differences here and there, they each have their own characteristic and tone, but you really can't go wrong either way.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Everyone else has covered most of the differences.

Both are excellent basses.

IME, Zons sound a little warmer, while Modulus is a little more aggressive sounding.

If I were playing loud guitar rock, I would get a Modulus. For most other types of music, I would get a Zon.

But you can't go wrong with either.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I was interested in both in question, and I ended up with the Modulus Q5. It's definitley livelier in sound. The Q5 also felt a lot better to me in terms of the B string. So my vote goes with the Mod.

6. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    having played both I gotta say I just love the feel of the modulus. they are really well built. I felt like I was gonna break the zon with my bare hands.

strange reason to pick a bass but nonetheless, you can't be scared to dig into your bass

7. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    "Modulous"...

Iss French, no?

8. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    Exactly!

Peace

9. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I think again like most people here, they are BOTH great basses and everyone has their own preference. From my experience I think the build quaility of the Zon is just excellent. Mine feels like it's carved from a billet of steel. That's how solid it feels to me. I can get just about any sound I want from it. Aggressive, smooth. Also, Zon does make a 35" scale 3/4" (normal) string spacing on the 519 Sonus. I see that some want the wider spacing that Modulus does not have. Unless you go for the "wide five" which may be too wide for many. I happen to be partial to Zon but Modulus DOES make a killer instument.

10. I own the "other" model made by Modulus,the Genisis...I suppose you could call it a "hybrid"...being graphite and wood..a little "warmer" than the all graphite neck Quantam but,with good attack..I use mine for everything from loud rock to cover band blues and classic rock...

11. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm experiencing some serious GAS for a Genesis.

i'm not too fond of the Q series.

my new 35" zon sonus fretless is a smokin bass!

but, ahh...the Genesis...looks like some good deals can be had for a used, non-fancy Gen.

rekesbass: you have any audio clips or pics of your Genesis?

f

12. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    zons are really warm. they are nice and have good range overall. modulus also have good range but like everyone else has said, they are a tad more agressive.

13. fhodshon, sorry, I don't have any audio clips at the moment or any good pics...mine looks like the ones on the website. a 5 string, it's trans green(a nice deep emerald green) w\ bart pups and pre,black hardware.standard model..no custom options here...bought it used for $1099.US a little over a year ago,I could'nt pass on that deal..I would call the sound "aggresively warm"..its got a aggressive attack with a really warm,woody tone..kinda strange...very cool though..(string type makes a difference too) the neck is pretty wide,and with a 35in. scale it can feel like a real beast if your not used to it but,I have pretty large hands for a guy my size so it's not to bad. I like the string spacing at the bridge..it's not to tight..I think the Genisis is a little wider than the Q but I find them both very comfortable(I don't own a Q but I've tried a few)

14. yes I would like one of those VJ basses too..the Genisis is kinda like it in terms of construction(I believe the VJ has a wood fingerboard) the Gen. has a different neck profile and the obvious 5 strings but, kinda close. I think the VJ is more like a " real jazzbass" in terms of feel...its on top of my list for a jazzbass..head and shoulders above any Fender IMO... FWIW,I'm NOT bashing Fender.:) ...I own one, and I like it. I just really like Modulus basses :D....and this is coming from a diehard Rickenbacker fan :eek: ;) :D

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, everyone's hit it pretty much dead-on:

Modulus - Brighter and more aggressive.

Zon - Warmer, "woodier" in tone, but still with great definition and attack.

FWIW, my Sonus Special Fretless 5 will punch a tonal hole through the most obnoxious guitar attack. I call it my "p!$$ off the guitarist" bass. ;)

The Zons tend to be a bit lighter in weight than most of the Modulus as well, but both are incredibly well-built instruments, and sound great.

Entirely a matter of personal preference, try to play a few examples of each if possible to make a decision for yourself.

BTW, rekes, you live just up the street from Mike Tobias...you otta be looking into his stuff! :D

16. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Flea is not high on my most wanna be like list, but I played a Flea 5 with the one MM pickup and I loved the punchy sound. Outside the 34' scale, what are the major differences v. the Quantum 5. I ask this in this thread because you all are in a graphite state of mind.;)

17. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    if they made the vintage jazz in a 5 i'd be all over it
    !

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    They do: FBJ5

It's a Flea Bass 5 with two J pickups in it, standard with 2-band EQ, available with a 3-band. Nice bass, sold a few.

:D

19. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    ok then fb5j vs sonus 5!

20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lotta metal guys use Modulus basses, but, then again, I've seen a few use Zons to... Paulo Jr. of Sepultura comes to mind.

Me...I'd go with a Zon, maybe, because I like the 34" scale.