Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zon Vs. Status opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I used to own a Zon bass and I loved it. I'm thinking of going back to Graphite and would like the opinion of people who played both the Sonus and the Empathy serieses. Thanks a bunch.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Will -

Both are killer basses - to my ears the Status is a bit more "hyped-up" sounding, kind of sounds like what people that have never played a composite necked instrument think they all sound. (Not a knock, just an observation! :D) The Zons sound a bit more "organic" to me, very warm and woody, but with that composite clarity, sustain, and evenness.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a great deal on the Status if I were in the market for a bass, but all things equal, I'd get the Zon. (Plus, Joe's shop is not too terribly far from you... ;) )

3. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I second that emotion Gard. Great explanation. My Zons continue to be my favorite instruments :D

4. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I own an older Status Series II from the late 80s, and Gard's description of the sound really sums up my impressions of it. I've not tried a Zon, so I couldn't comment on that, but I've got an older Modulus BassStar neck here, which I would say has a similar response and sound to the Status. In contrast, I used to own a Steinberger XL2, and it's much more like Gard's description of the Zon - more organic and rounder sounding.

I love the sound of the Status, but I have to admit that, if I only owned one bass, I don't think that sound would satisfy me. On the other hand, I lived for 12 months or more with just the Steinberger, and only sold it due to it's appearance (I know, I know :eek: - I still kick myself for that decision!!). It always delivered in the sound department.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I thought as much.

Zon Sonus 5, Here I come...

...eventually.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Lemme know when you're ready to do something...I'll be happy to help you out! :)

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I've owned several Zons, and currently have one, but the Status SC-2 headless 5 I played was very impressive. I'll agree that the Status is more "modern" sounding than most Zons, but what caught me about the Status was how alive the instrument felt when played. The whole bass resonated tactilly, more so than I have felt with other basses, and the construction was perfect.

If I were going to buy a high end bass tomorrow, I would probably order a Status.