ZOOM 506 ll?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bop, Sep 11, 2000.

1. Bop

Sep 10, 2000
    I'm thinking about getting a 506II so I can add a little more variety to my band(rock). does anyone think this is a very stupid or good Idea? I'd like to remind you that i'm on a budget. and i don't want to hear about how fragile they are. I know all about that. thanks!
  2. Fine, I won't tell you about how fragile they are, because they are actually fiarly sturdy. THEY SOUND LIKE CRAP!!! Unless you like a whole bunch of effects that you won't use, that all sound like bad fake synth from the 70's, I woulden't waste the money (oops I already did waste the money, because I own one)
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I bought one of those over a year ago...Save your money!! The 4 band eq..well thats a joke...you only get to choose one of the 4 bands to use. The synth bass sounds are sub par..nasty nasty disortion sounds from it..the corus and delays are hard to control as well..and the slap bass sound well i could get a better slap sound if id have strung telephone wires to my bass. You can get a DOD BASS 30 for about $160. those are much better than the Zoom.
  4. jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    Especially if you're on a budget don't waste your money on a gadget you won't like.

I own a 506, and the only effects I still use are the octaver and the compressor. There are better effect units out there, of course. The thing is noisy, you cannot fine tune the effects.

Speaking of budgets: My strong advice is first to think about the added variety of sound you really need. If it's more depth, buy a EBS Octaver (or the like). If it's a tighter sound, buy a compressor. If you (really?) need different sound settings, use the onboard EQ on your bass an work on your hand positions. Going to the limit with what you got is the cheapest and most reliable (and most demanding :( )way to add variety to your sound.
  5. Albino_Ryno

Albino_Ryno Guest

Sep 17, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I use the original 506, I haven't had a chance to play the 506 II. For price I think the 506 is pretty good, I usually don't mess with the octave or synth sounds on it, they just don't sound good to me. I do use a mild bit of drive every now and then for my pick playing, a fat patch for my funk and rock playing, and I use the chorous to get my above the twelveth fret melody stuff going on. I really haven't had a good chance to play with that many other pedals so I really don't know what I'm missing or what else is out there but I'm content with my original 506. Until I come across something better that is.
  6. Hey I saw an ad with Will Lee--he endorses the 506II
  7. BassGuy

Jun 30, 2000
    I tried the original 506 and sent it back. It is a toy; not good for stage or studio. Better to get a few individual effects that fit your style of music.
  8. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I saw Will's picture on a Zoom ad-it's mainly a bio on him, and the only thing he says regarding this pedal is that YOU can take it almost anywhere (not him!)