Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zoom 506 Muiti-Effects.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WordIsBorn79, Mar 15, 2001.

1. WordIsBorn79

WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've owned the Zoom 506 bass pad for over 2 years now. It had served it's time, and now I have read that Zoom made a new version of it with a built in expression pedal. Does anyone own this yet? How long has it been out on the market? Is my idea to upgrade a good one, or should I stick with my old faithful? Oh, and anyone who attemps to dis or bash either Zoom pedals or myself for using them will be totally disreguarded. I am not looking for irrelevent opinions, as is the case in many threads.

2. BFX708 has been out for a year or so now and I passesd on it, it has some new sorta cool features but I decided to keep my old faithful 506. It may be time to start collecting individual pedals, what efx do you like/use most?

3. The Zoom 506 was bad news to me. Noisy and limited. Got rid of it pretty fast. I however liked one effect in it, the Vintage distortion. Does anyone know a separate pedal that could do this distortion on its own?

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ibanez Tube Screamer

5. Will try that. Thanks!

6. I bought an expresion pedal for mine. Not great for 5-strings but the wah is great for the higher strings. Just bought a digitech bp8, it out does the zoom 10:1 hands down.

7. WordIsBorn79

WordIsBorn79

Jan 10, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    The main effects I use on the Zoom 506 was the compressor, thrash distortion, clean tone #2, noise supressor, eq, chorus, flanger, octaver, and delays. The tuner in excellent, however, it cannot pick up a low B droped to A (al la Korn). I just feel that all other effects on that pad are either usless or sound awful. I was hoping that this new pedal would make some improvments, but the problem is that I am tight on $$$, so it's basically keep what I got, or trade it in for 1 really good pedal. Thank you for your help.

8. I don't really know which is better, but I was thinking of picking up one of those 506 cuz they look pretty sweet, but those cheap bastards at Samsontech dont have the price on the Zoom web page. If anyone knows, could you tell me on average how much those things cost. Preferably in Canadian dollars, but if ya dont know, American works.

9. I just bought the BFX708. It is definetley quieter on most patches than the 506. Its got 30 user and 30 preset effects, most of them I use without editing them...they sound that good. I also like the built in rhythm trainer, has beats from hip-hop to blues to thrash metal rhythms. The expression pedal doesn't do much for me, I usually like to stay with a specific tone and just drive with that but some of the more synth or weird effects are more interesting with the use of the pedal. The sampler is a bit limited tho, its only 6 seconds unlike most other which are 8 to 12 seconds and you can only slow it to half the speed to learn riffs. The cool thing about the pad is that it has seperate amp simulator, comp/distortion, modulation, and reverb controls that can be tweaked without having to scroll thru menus or having to edit the effect you are trying to use. The big plus for me is I can use the pad as a DI for my soundcard on my PC and since I am in the military and I will be leaving the country for 6 months I can take my bass and use the pad as a headphone amp, thereby leaving a 100lb amp at home where it should be! The cost here in san diego at Guitar Trader was 129.99, the 506II was 79.99, I figured what the hell, its just 50 bucks! And they threw in a free Tshirt! Hope this helps anyone.....

10. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I've got the BFX708 and I like it. There's one effect that's great It's called twooct it's octavater and pitchshifter effect. The sound makes me think of drunken smurfs. I use it for polka style. My band is a pretty hard rock type, and at the end of shows we like to do a little polka number that's ****ed up. People seem to get into it. Synth 3 is cool. The time trip effect is interseting, not too pratical though. The chorus is great and gives the bottom end a real punchy tone, It's great for slaping. The sampaler needs to be longer than 6 seconds. The jam play thing is cool though it's like a mini sampler that you set up to a like D.J. scratch kind of thing with the expresson pedal. Oh yeah, the tuner will pick up a low g# barley.