Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ZOOM 506 with Hartke 3500 setup question?????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ritual_bass, Sep 26, 2002.

1. how have others set this up with the amp????

get a tone you like on the amp, and then put the pedal in the loop and work off that...

or set the amp to presets and play with the pedal that way?

i am assuming you are using user presets, but i guess it would apply to the factory presets as well...

also...do you use the effects loop on the back or put the pedal inline with the input on the front...

i have a really good sound out of the hartke without using the pedal, but i want to add some flavor to my sound.....granted i play heavy metal, and not jazz or fusion...etc...so i will only be using compression, a little distortion at times....etc....nothing too far out there

2. i don't have the zoom 506, but i put my pedals between the bass and the amp, and my rack-units in the FX_loop

that's the way it was designed to be ;)

3. what about your amp settings? do you tweak them before you add effects, this is of course when you first set the amp up, i just got the amp about 2 months ago, and before we're ready to play out, i want it tight....thanks!

4. I first set my amp with clean bass, and then add the effects. afterall.. effects are an addition, not a substitution ;)

my amp settings :)

[​IMG]

5. awesome, thanks....what cabinet are you running with the hartke? i have a hartke 410xl, looking to add a 115xl shortly to round out the sound

6. the picture shows my old Eden CX210.. currently running it on a Peavey 8x10",
    which gives me KILLER lows and crisp mids.. one thing tho..
    i cannot turn the volue knob past 4, or the windows and/or walls will collapse..
    the 3500 is LOUD (!), and 8 10" speakers produce a lot of air-movement.. woah ! :eek:

b.t.w. you do not want the Hartke 3500 on an 1x15".. but then again.. you do not want an 1x15" anyway :p

if you want a sub under the 4x10.. go check out a 2x12".. they give way tighter sound and better defined lows than 1x15" ;)

7. i have a hartke 3500 and a zoom 506 pedal...

im powering a 2x15 SUNN cab.

i get ' decent ' tone.. im still looking for my RIGHT sound...

im pretty much in the same boat as you... needed to spice up my sound , i do metal / hard rock....

its a cool pedal, but.. its you know.. BLAH... not the best.. esspecially when needing to turn effects during songs, and on and off... such a pain you know...

i go from bass to pedal then to amp.. i've never even tryed going into the effects loop.

8. thanks for the replies....and thanks for the tips on the 1x15...i'll look at the 2x12 when i'm ready, or maybe even another 410xl....i used to have an ampeg svt 810, and i know what 8 10s can produce!

i'll probably set it up for different tones for differnt songs and set them up with my set list.....thinking that would be easiest!

9. Get a tone that you like with the Hartke and then throw out the zoom
    The zoom pedal will do nothing but destroy every possible good tone you can get out of that amp.

10. BigTopBruno

BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    AllodoX,

I'm curious about your 1x15 comment. Is there an issue with the Hartke or do you not like 15's in general?

BTB

11. I don't like 15's in general. they sound too muddy.

12. see i have an ampeg b2 bass combo and i find i actually have to use the zoom to get a better sound...i try to get a good sound with just my head and it sounds real.....muffeled, is just the 1x15 doing that or is it the head....i think it used to sound better then i does now