Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zoom 506II bass Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kyle_T_Ping, May 23, 2004.

1. Kyle_T_Ping

Kyle_T_Ping

May 22, 2004
    Dinnington
    I so think that this pedal is so under essamated.... they are so cool with a range of sounds.... what do you think??? ? ??? :ninja:

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I gave mine away for free...

3. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    In the last couple of weeks, I have been experimenting with distortion effects. E.g. like this patch:

Patch level: 23
    Comp/Limit/Wah: off
    Dist: Fuzz
    Gain: 3
    EQ/Phase: 25
    Contour: 7
    ZNR/AMP: 5
    Mod: off
    Dly/Rev: Reverb 9 (r9)
    Time: 8

This will make my basses sound good when I play finger style, but when I dig in harder a smooth dist will follow. This patch also work well playing double stops or with a pick. Even chords played above 12th fret is really cool with this dist.

Then playing solos or slapping a long way up on the bass' neck work really well with this patch:

Patch level: 23
    Comp/Limit/Wah: F3
    Dist: Thrash (tH)
    Gain: 24
    EQ/Phase: P3
    Contour: -3
    ZNR/AMP: off
    Mod: Octave 9 (o9)
    Dly/Rev: Hall 1 (H1)
    Time: 6

Enjoy this synth-sound-alike patch! Normally I'm a "no effects" kind of man, but its fun to experiment a bit.

/MrBaloo

4. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    This is kinda funny, I was just about to post a thread about this, but I was gonna say how many bassist out there use these type of effects pedals?

I totally agree with how under estimated these pedals are used! I mean there aren't many recordings I've heard which use these types of pedals. Its a shame though the only problem with mine is the battery life. It would be usless on stage because of them. At tops they will last for about 45 minutes which is a shame! :crying:

Any other feedback? :confused:

Andy

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the 506 and 708 are fine for the money, but I wouldn't record with them - too much hiss. And live, the plastic switches are prone to breakage - I broke 2 708's before learning my lesson, and I don't hit that hard.

6. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I have that pedal and i don't really use it that much. Most of the effects are useless, but it has a good overdrive and envelope filter effect. I like to play around with it but I mostly just play clean. There are about 5 effects I actually use.

7. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    That's true of most of these gadgets. They tend to be way too complicated when it comes to programming your own patches, and the pre-programmed patches tend to be heavy on the gimmicks, not giving you tones that are good for anything but screwing around while in an altered state of consciousness.

I had a 506, and dumped it. It was a pain to find the right patch, with its two-button interface. The patch names were not useful (let's see, was that sound F5 or B6?). The foot switch-ability on stage was flaky (you needed to hit both buttons simultaneously to bypass it). And it was a cheesy, lightweight plastic box that obviously wouldn't stand up to being stepped on.

I now use a Pandora PX4B, which has some of the same shortcomings, and some new ones. but I like it a lot better anyway.

8. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I really like mine, it really rounds out the tone of my bass real well. I don't use crazy effects, just some reverb and the vintage distortion.

I haven't stepped on mine since i got it. I change patches with my hands and the pedal sits on top of my amp.

9. I like my BFX 708.

10. METALGIE

METALGIE

Mar 26, 2004
    Can you guys recomand any patchs for 708II, like da other guy who showed how to do two pachs but wit 506II??
    THank!

11. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Surely you can use the same patches, but just not assign youre expression pedal to anything?

12. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I have completely blanked out all not-used patches in my 506II, then I go from scrath everytime I bulid up a new patch. E.g. add some compression or small amount of chorus.

/MrBaloo

13. I had one. It broke in 9 months. not very good distortion sounds, so I bought an ODB-3, and other pedals.