Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zoom 506II processor as a Pre-Amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nirvanafan13, Mar 20, 2001.

1. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have a Zoom 506II processor and i want to know, like if i bought a cab (say a 150 watt) , how much (watts) could i push the cab?? in other words, How LOUD could i get??? PLEASE HELP ME!! Thanks,
    Evan

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    You have it wrong.

1) The Zoom 506II Does not act as a preamp, it is just a multieffects unit that must be connected to a preamp or an effects-loop.

2) A preamp is not a device that connects to a a speaker cabinet directly. It will not provide the power to drive a cab. The preamp must be connected to a POWER AMP wich is the device that adds the POWER to drive a Speaker Cab.

3) A Speaker Cabinet is not rated by how much WATTS it produces, but how much Watts it can HANDLE coming from the POWER AMP.

A Head is a combination of a PRE-AMP and a POWER-AMP in a single unit.
    A Combo is a combination of a PRE-AMP/PowerAMP and a Speaker Cabinet in a single unit.

I hope you have it clear now.

3. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    well, dammit! ya mean if i drive it with like a 35 watt combo amp it will only put out 35 watts or however loud i put the combo?

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    If you put it in those terms YES.
    The Zoom 506II HAS NOTHING TO DO , with the power output of your Amp/Cab or combo setup.

And, VOLUME or LOUDNESS is not measured in WATTS (thats just the power that it is pushing) it is measured in Decibels of Sound Pressure.

Since you are still very young, I suggest you begin learning about amps effects, watts, decibels, ohms, etc etc. Im 20 but I had the luck that my dad teach me all that when I was a kid.

It will be very valuable when you get to buy better equipment.