Zoom 708 II - have you used this?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassmama, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Greetings all, I've scanned through this forum and read some opinions on this model, but my question is a little different so I'm posting a new question.

I just wanted some opinions from folks who have used this pedal/device. In particular I'm curious if you use the drum machine features.

BTW, I'm a fairly new player, 4 years now, although I am in gigging bands and having a great time. My bass is a Samick P-bass and it really needs some boost with its tone.

I'm completely new to the world of effects pedals, but with the drum machine features, this one interested me.

I realize that I can probably get better effects separately, and probably a more versatile drum machine separately, but this seemed like a good place to start.

Thanks in advance for your help! :D
  2. IF you need to boost it's tone, try replacing the pickups first.. a pedal cannot make your $ 100 bass sound like a $ 1000 one, trust me ;)
  3. Thanks much for your thoughtful response!

The reviews at Harmony Central seem to confirm this opinion as well. Always good to get a fresh point of view!

4. I personally hate things like Zooms etc. An individual effect is far better and will alway remain that

Keep upwith the bass

5. Herkimer

Dec 10, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    You just can't go wrong for the price. I've played a Zoom BFX-708 for a couple years. I love it. Just remember it's a "jack-of-all-trades and a master of none".

Although... I think it does really good with quite a few of it effects. Surely, its distortions are on par with any individual pedals I've ever owned. It has good delay, too.

I wouldn't record with it... but for live, it's great and it opens up your playing to new things.

It does have an EQ so you can try to tweak your bass to sound better. Add a little compression and VIOLA!! Your stuff should sound better!

6. Thanks, Michael, I'm viewing this as my first exploration into the realm of effects and drum machines and such . . . the first step beyond basic bass and amp.

BTW, I went ahead and ordered it. :) I figure if it doesn't work out, there's always eBay!

Sometimes you have to just make a decision. There are so many choices out there.

Thanks again,

7. I'm thinking about buying a 708 II.
    time to retire my battered and noisy Zoom 506.
    Flying Pig are doing them for £120.

what's the sampler function like?
    is it up to the task of live looping on the fly?
    and what is the background noise level like?
  8. BTW, I did go ahead and get the 708 II.

It is VERY versatile and as a result will take a lot of time reading the manual and experimenting and figuring out how to use its functions.

As far as sampling and looping, with the addition of a SmartMedia card it looks like a person might be able to do some of that.

As far as background noise, it seemed that there was some at first, but there are patches that have very little, so I'm guessing the noise is part of the settings, which can be adjusted and saved.

There are good reviews of it at Harmony Central if you want to read some more.
  9. From a standpoint that there are Zoom-haters out there, I guess I am a fence-sitter. I will not dismantle my analog board. There are so many great sounds that have been fine-tuned and tweaked that it would be a shame to do that.
    ..but I am really liking my Zoom 708II now that I have spent some time with it and programmed it as best as I can. I guess I'll have to get one of those Boss LS-2s and use both the Zoom and my board.
  10. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I think I will try one too. The Digitech bp8 was under consideration but I hear a lot about bad quality control and, hey they are out of production.

Too bad they didn't incorporate a tube preamp into the 708 II. That was the one redeming quality of bp8.
  11. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I have the 708 mark 1,
    It's the most expensive tuner I ever bought (Cos that's the only thing it's any good for - and I'm not so sure about how accurate that is either!).
    Pile of Poo IMHO.
  12. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I received my Zoom 708 II yesterday and within 5 minutes I was fuzzin, never even read the instruction manual. The presets are dirt simple and quite impressive. No doubt it will take some reading to create the custom patches.

It is very quiet and the Bypass sounds genuine. If you want to simplify your life, from a plethora of stomp boxes and effects pedals, this is the ticket. I guess if you already have all the junk, you are stuck with it because variable multi affects modeling processors are the future. This one is good but every generation will show major improvement.
  13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Zoom 708 II is much better than the 1st edition.
    Actually, the 708 I sounded terrible to me.

Since the excellent Korg AX-1 B is not built anymore, cheap decent multieffect market resolves to either the Digitech BP200 or the Zoom 708 II.
  14. odie

odie Supporting Member

So could someone use this to run samples when playing live.....you know those samples you hear in the intros to songs.
  15. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Wish I knew what you were talking about.
  16. odie

odie Supporting Member

ok let me try this again.

Lets say there was a song (example white zombie )or similiar band that uses alot of samples. Could a person load a sample off the album, lets say it is a sound of a car reving its engine and put it onto a flash card. Then when the sound/sample is needed you can start that sample and then stop the sample and play the song.

Then forward to the next sample that maybe needed for the next song.

Make sense:p :D
  17. a_5string

Feb 19, 2003
    midwest - Iowa
    I can answer this one for you. I have had a 708 1 for a few years now. It only has a few seconds total of sample time, nothing that you could use for what you want. I don't know about the 708 II(edit-i just looked at the 708II .pdf, it looks like it may work ok for this. 4min. worth per 16mb smartmedia card.) In my current band we use some "samples" for song intros and what not. What i've done, because i didn't have the bucks to pony up for a true sampler, is record the "samples" onto minidisc. Since i already had the portable minidisc, I call it the poor mans sampler.:D I wired up a remote foot switch for it so that i can stop it hands free, works pretty slick.
  18. odie

odie Supporting Member

I have the 708-1 and it didnt have any pause at all. Switched to the next patch immediatly.
  19. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    OK, now i got it. You can add a smart card to the 708 II to allow lengthy storage. If you can get the sample on the smart card, I would guess you could play it back.

I don't know for sure as I am just learning about it now.