Zoom 708 II or Digitech BP200

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Nov 11, 2002.

1. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Zoom has really upgraded the BFX708 to the 708 II, I was leaning towards the Digitech but am now considering the Zoom. I don't have a whole lot of money to burn so these are both in my price range but I think the 708 now has the edge feature wise over the Digitech. What do you guys think?
  2. zoom blows... they have low-quality effects that give lots of static and feedback ( Specially the overdrives :( )

you will be better off with the digitech or a korg ax1b, if you should want a multi-fx
  3. Wareyin

Jul 13, 2002
    Try them both out. Only you can decide.

I have to love the "Zoom blows" response people always give on this site. All it says is they don't like the name, but have never even tried the product.:rolleyes: If you haven't tried the product, you can't answer the question, now can you?:eek:

Personally, I tried out the BP200, and it was very lacking. I hate the lame boss bass overdrive pedal sound, and that is their distortion. You'd be better off buying 2 or 3 pedals that can do the effects you want, usually for less than $150 new combined. If you like boutique pedals that cost more than that, you won't get those sounds out of the BP200 anyway.

I was interested in the 708II, but I can't find one here to try out. I'd hate to mail order one, then hate it, so...
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've never owned the 708II, but I have owned at various times the 708 and the BP200. I'd say effects wise, the 708 had the edge over the BP200. The 708 had, in my opinion, a better wah.
    BUT , if the 708II is still made with the same plastic casing as the 708 then I'd avoid it. The patch up/down buttons on my 708 broke after just a few months of live use. The buttons on the 708II look bigger/sturdier, but they're still plastic and more likely to break in my opinion.
    The BP200 is a very solid unit. For the price you're looking to pay you're not going to get anything wonderful, but they're both good little units for the price. If you're planning to gig with whatever you buy, and move between patches with any regularity, I'd recommend the BP200.
    You know, for what you're looking to spend on a new BP200 or BFX708 you could pick up a used Digitech BP8 on ebay.
    I had bfx708, it broke, then I got bp8 for rehearsals / gigging and had bp200 for home practice. Now I use a Korg pandora for home practice and single effects / pedalboard setup for rehearsals & gigs.
  5. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks for the feedback guys.:)
  6. dgblkbelt

Oct 5, 2002
    I don't like digitech at all, I had a BP8 and didnt' like it.

I've got a POD with carry bag for $230 shipped or a POD pro for $425 shipped. Both are in good condition, I just don't play with them anymore.

email dbg22@cornell.edu if you are interested.
  7. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    I see they upgraded the ZOOM to even tackier aesthetics. Interesting.

Dont go zoom, or digitech...Get a single effect, something fun like a synth or wah.
  8. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    This topic has been beaten to death...It is (sadly) a very popular first multi effect pedal due to the price. Thus alot of us have been scalded and turned away from it.
  9. I've tried both the Zoom 708 and I now own the BP200. The effects on the Zoom were more "fun", but the overall quality of the BP200 is better, both in construction and sound effects. The BP200 has more "mature" effects. It does a great job of amp simulation.
  10. Wareyin

Jul 13, 2002
    The people who post "Zoom sucks" aren't observant enough to realize that you can't judge an entire brand name by the lowest priced entry model. The Zoom 506 is the cheapy first pedal. It is a whole different animal than the 708, and especially the 708II.
    I agree the 506 sucks, but I thought the digitech bp200 sucked just as bad. I wanted one with distortion, and neither the 708 or the bp200 has good distortion. Otherwise, the 708 has far more for the money than the bp200. The only thing the bp200 has going for it is a metal case.
  11. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    aha...now i see what you mean...In this case im not saying "Zoom Blows" ....More like...."The ZOOM BFX708 Blows and is in high regard in the zoom catalogue so i can only assume that other zoom products mayt blow"

12. Low Fat

Low Fat

Sep 20, 2006
    Saint Louis
    I own the BFX708 II - And yes the pedal sucked initially.... But after reading the manual throughly ( 4 - 5 times ) and making parameter adjustments in small steps and tweeking a fair amount and especially utilizing the ZNR when using distortion settings.... the ZOOM BFX708 II is an awesome working musicians pedal...

Is it a pro players pedal?? Will you see this in Victor Wootens arsenal... NO way... But... most working musicians will find that this pedal will suffice and actually make some sweet sounds that are fully realistic and acceptable in a live and rehearsal setting.

The pedal does fall slightly short in the distortion modes... they're just a little thin sounding but can be fairly compensated by adjusting the EQ section of the pedal.

A real bassist will not find much use for distortion anyway... distortion from a bass amp sounds like crap any way IMHO.

Now for those snobs that wont settle for second best and buy only boss single effects and expensive rocktron rack processors then NO... there is not any constructive critisizm for this pedal from them because they are speaking with biased opinion...

Take it from a real world working bassist (been playing since 1989) I play this pedal through a Peavey Firebass 700 head mated to a Carvin 810 cabinet, Yamaha Active 5 string. My band has played 29 show so far this year 2007 and we have 21 more on the books to finish out the year of 2007 www.stonezeroband.com I know what I am talking about here... you're getting a real world answer out of a mature and well seasoned adult player here not a 21 yr old kid that may have been playing a few years.

This pedal is bullet proof... has plenty of real world tones you can use, if your looking for a pedal that will disguise your crappy punk / ska NOISE style :ninja: of chugging on a "G" note in full distortion...then look elsewhere.

Like I stated... yes distortions are passable but are really not that great.. the amp sims and cab models are nice, effects like flange and chorus are nice, enhance is nice, compressor is average, EQ is average..ring modulator..lmao... Vocal Wah is sweet if set right... Folks this is a digital unit and a lot of people get these digital units and go at em' with a full twist of the knobs... now that usually works well on analog pedals but being digital.. a little goes a long way...

The secret to this pedal and digital pedals like these is tweaking and I dont mean tweak the only the sesitivity knob and level.. I mean tweak all the parameters and then tweak the EQ and then ZNR and keep doing that till you get it right... some guys I can tell, get on a digital pedal and crank a few knobs and think right off of the bat "that the unit is SHIOT, when in reality if used properly, they are usually fully acceptable tones.