Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zoom 708 ring mod any good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by psionide, Mar 5, 2005.

1. psionide

psionide

Feb 19, 2005
    Arendal, Norway
    I would like to get a ring modulator, but seeing as the stand-alone ring pedals are very expensive, I`ve been looking for a cheaper option.

I see that the Zoom 708 multi-effects pedal has a built in ring mod, it can even be controlled with the expression pedal. So the question is; is it any good? Has anyone with other ring mods tried the one in the zoom? Is it worth the cash, or should I forget about it and save up for a more expensive pedal?

I know that zoom has questionable quality, but I`m just looking for something to use for messing around with at home/recording.

Any help greatly appreciated :) !

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Never tried the Zoom but the ring modulator in the Korg AX-1B is very nice.
    You can control the amount or interpolation with the expression pedal too, it helps keeping it usable.

3. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    this is the only ring mod i ever used, but combined with the expression npedal you can get some CRAZY sounds out of it... i got rid of zoom due to hiss, but i found that some of the FX in it were actually pretty good.

4. psionide

psionide

Feb 19, 2005
    Arendal, Norway
    Thanks for the replies guys. Although I was hoping that someone who has tried several ring modulators would reply to this.

On a side note; how is the wah-function on the zoom, compared to a stand-alone pedal such as the crybaby ? Any good?

5. well, i had the 708, and the ring mod was excellent, but i wasn't fond of the wah pedal, it wasn't that great, because i've got a heavy foot when i rock the pedal, and the way the turn the wah on and off is to push the pedal all the way to the front, and it switched...well, i would often switch the effect on and off without really wanting to. personally i'd get a separate wah pedal.

6. monkeywrench

monkeywrench

Oct 17, 2002
    well i own the zoom pedal and aside from the standard "power" and one of the synth settings the ring is the only effect i use on the pedal, this is the second one of the same pedals i've had the first one totally stopped working, and this one is going down hill to but it your just using it at home it might work

the ringer is awesome and has inspired me to find a better pedal with a ringer, i haven't decided between the mooger stand alone ringer, or the line 6 modulation pedal

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't think I'll buy anything Zoom ever again, maybe accept it as a free gift... but... yeah.