Zoom B1on Create Country Sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Legend, Nov 26, 2021.

1. The Legend

The Legend

Nov 26, 2021
    Newbie here.

Interested in what settings people have used to create a sort of twangy country sound--think Wichita Lineman bass. I would like a little twangier if possible. Thanks bassists.

2. The Legend

The Legend

Nov 26, 2021
    Zoom B1on Create Country Sound Settings

3. Welcome to TB @The Legend to recreate that sound you must first understand how it was created in the beginning. It was very common to have two players playing the same line one on upright bass and another on baritone bass or tic-tac bass with a pick through a guitar amp with reverb. You hear it a lot on records from California to Nashville to Italy on Spaghetti Western.
    Carol Kaye got closest by using a pick on her P-Bass using a Versatone or Polytone amplifier. Using a pick is essential. Try the Fender Bassman model with extra treble and some spring or plate reverb would be my suggestion.

4. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Welcome @The Legend !

I had a hard time picking up the bass when I pulled up the song on youtube, but I'm on my phone so not the best bass response.

I agree with @bassbrad of using amp models from or near the era.

The Legend likes this.
  5. The Legend

The Legend

Nov 26, 2021
    Thanks for the replay. This will give me some motivation to learn more at my advanced age. Again, many thanks.

seedokebass likes this.
  6. The Legend

The Legend

Nov 26, 2021
    And I will try the pick versus finger.

7. We gotta keep learning to keep from dying. And who you calling old?

8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Kind of already said by others in this thread, but the key to this kind of tone would be to use a pick and a spring reverb, using one of the spring reverb models of the Zoom (I recommend the model that emulates a Fender amp type spring reverb).

Eventual additionally experimenting with EQ'ing adding some upper mids, between abround 800Hz to 2.5kHz might help too, using a couple of the parametric equalizer model of the Zoom connected in series behind the spring reverb in a patch (that is EQ before the spring reverb in the signal chain, so the spring reverb is last, and arranging the equalizers lowest to highest frequency band before the reverb).

As a rough guideline try boosting 800Hz 1dB to 2dB or so, and 1kHz or 1.2Khz 1dB to 2dB or so, both set to a Q value of 4 or so, utilizing the parametric equalizer model, and then perhaps additionally boosting somewhere between 1.6kHZ to 2.3Khz about 2dB or so with a Q value of 2 or so, experimenting with what sounds best within the suggested settings.

Finally you might want to experiment with a very subtle slap back type analog or tape delay emulation after the reverb (that is a very short delay time (50ms to 150ms or so), low feedback setting (15 to 35 or so), and mixed in very low (15 to 30 or so)), but this might be overkill.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    The Legend and seedokebass like this.
  9. The Legend

The Legend

Nov 26, 2021

NoiseNinja likes this.
  10. The Legend

The Legend

Nov 26, 2021
    Great ideas. Thanks to you and several others. I appreciate the responses.

NoiseNinja and seedokebass like this.
  11. I think I've got a pretty close preset here:
    Reference Track:

The bass I used is a Fender MiM Jazz (neck pickup only) with flatwounds that I played with a pick. On the Zoom, I have a Fliptop on a 115 with a tiny bit of tremolo for some shimmer.

The Legend likes this.
  12. The Legend

The Legend

Nov 26, 2021
    Thank you. Another great reply to my question.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  13. The Legend

The Legend

Nov 26, 2021
    Thank you. I have one bass (Beatle knock off) that has flatwounds. I will try that along with the other suggestions.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022