Zoom B1Xon and ToneLib

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BillMason, Mar 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Holy crapola.

The sweet love of my life gifted me with this Zoom B1Xon pedal for Christmas, and prior to that I was mostly pedal-free; I owned a Joyo American Sound and a Joyo compressor, trying to get that SVT sound from my MarkBass and P bass.

I flipped through the presets and had some fun one day playing Electric Funeral with a Q-Tron emulator. I found the tones good, but the task of programming them to be a PITA, andthere was a lot of scrolling/stomping between patches to get to the good ones I'd found or edited.

I just downloaded and installed this morning the ToneLib software, which allows you to get a graphical drag and drop style UI for the pedal, while the pedal is connected to your bass and amp - so changes are immediate and clickable with a mouse, and everything is displayed right there in front of you.

This software is a game changer, and Zoom should *seriously* consider bundling it with their pedals. I can seriously consider giving up several of the pedals I have bought since Christmas and just take this to band practices and gigs, naming patches by songs and arranging them in set list order, with an always accessible tuner. This is seriously *almost* all I need, and I don't care who snobs at me because of it.

The SVT emulator I'd say is ok - it doesn't deliver that tube amp responsiveness I'm looking for, so I may still be looking for a VT Bass DI.

I'm sitting here still stunned by the tone from the Rat and the Boss Metal Zone patches, and the EQ and bass boost are exactly what was needed for our Billie Jean cover. My chronic anxiety is pleased with the way I can virtually organize patches and rearrange them without messing with a bunch of cables and trial and error.

Stay tuned to see a brand new PedalTrain board on the Classifieds, I can't return it due to the velcro, but I bought it like week before last.

DblG and admh1972 like this.
  2. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Just an update - I ended up keeping all of my other pedals and the pedaltrain, and even adding a few more since the post above. In addition to what's below, I also have a Joyo Orange Juice, an EHX Hot Tubes nano, and a Joyo California Sound. Least used would be the Little Bear BS-1, but honestly that's mostly because the battery compartment door doesn't latch well and it bugs me. The Joyo Ultimate Drive also doesn't see a lot of use, but that's mostly because I'd been using it as a high gain OD pedal and the Zoom gives me a lot of options in that regard. I'm also not using the American or California Sound pedals much either, as the Hot Tubes and the different amp simulators on the Zoom do it for me (so far).

I am still very much a fan of the ToneLib software, and because of it, the Zoom B1Xon pedal is now an essential component of my board, versus a leave at home practice tool.

5896A1C7-0D79-42A4-9F34-8665375E8296.jpeg

3. Nice!

I’ve been doing the same thing, but the other way around. I have quite a bit of individual pedals, then I got a B1on in order to reduce the number of pedals I carry. It’s still new, but I’m pleased. I programmed an always on comp and eq setting, a bunch on envelope filters and a fuzz. I can’t seem to find an overdrive sound I find convincing enough, but I might get there.
    I still and will continue to use individual pedals, but the Zoom as great sounds in it!

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  4. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Thanks for this. I’ll look into downloading the software. I just discovered I really like my B1on for synth style effects. It’s spot on, and tracks flawlessly. Seriously an underrated multistomp if you know how to use it.

Inconnu and BillMason like this.
  5. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    No luck so far with ToneLib. It tries to connect to my Zoom R16, then says there is no B1on. To be fair, my Novation software can't connect to my Circuit either.

Edit: Circuit issue and no B1on seems to be an issue with my USB hub (never enough USB sockets!). New one ordered. The confusion between R16 and B1on is another matter.

Last edited: May 20, 2018