Zoom B1Xon Settings Thread...... OMG

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gregmon79, May 28, 2014.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So, I just got this bad boy off the brown truck and I have to say, WOW. It is REALLY something else. I just made my first patch, a Flip Top patch. It sounds soooooooo good! Im very excited about this pedal. I will list my settings below in a minute. But first, I wanted to give my first impressions of this pedal.

The very first thing I noticed, and I figured it would be the case, is that it seems very fragile as the entire housing is plastic. That always concerned me from first learning of this pedal. But hey, it was $75 new, and I dont plan on taking this out or putting it on my board for regular gigging/use (I dont think anyway). I say that because as Im playing with it and building my first patch, I am VERY impressed with the sounds that are coming out of this little plastic box. I updated the firmware to 1.21 already. This box has the same sound quality and effects as my 60b does and then some. A lot more some so it seems.

I couldnt quite figure out to get the tuner to pop up but Im sure I will eventually. I have yet to even start messing with the looper or rhythm machine. I was really anxious to get going and make a Flip Top patch. It sounds REALLY good to my ears. The navigation will def take a little time to get used to as well, but I sort of figured that considering what I went through with the 60b. I can navigate the 60b very quickly and with ease. I know that I will be able to on the B1Xon eventually too after I get all my patches lined up. The screen animations are smooth and quick and the pedals function very good so far. Again, my only complaint so far is that it literally feels like it could break if I step on it too hard. Im not so worried about that. I hope that it proves me wrong and it stands the test of time.

Anyway, here are the Flip Top settings I promised to the first patch I created. So far, AAWESOME!!:

Bass- 3
    Mid- 9
    Treble- 6
    Mid_F- 120hz
    Gain- 88
    Level- 16
    Ultra- Both
    Cab- FLIP (of course!! ;) )
    Mix- 64

Cant wait until a few more of you guys have gotten these pedals. They seem really cool, sound great, operate well so far and I havent even really dug into it. Im off to play with the rhythm machine!!

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  2. .
    I shouldn't read posts like this .... they give me GAS!

I keep telling myself that I have four Zoom mult-effects, do I really need another one?
    (Bet I end up buying a B1Xon ... can't help myself somtimes!)

BassikLee and Crystalman85 like this.
  3. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I didnt need one either. And I really cant afford it either. I need/want other things but considering how good I think the 60b is, I had to try it. And this was even cheaper than my 60b. And I got mine used for $80. Im really diggin ot so far. Im glad I got it, no remorse. The rhythm machine is pretty nice too. Very simple but it works really good for what I wanted. Looper too. Its worth it. Still hate the plastic housing. Ill get over it eventually.

4. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    Although not confirmed, I believe the B1Xon uses the exact same DSP engine as both the B3 and MS-60B and it is only fitting that it sounds amazing!

At this time, the B1Xon is Zoom's most powerful Bass-specific device and simultaneously, it is also the most affordable.

I am excited to see what Zoom releases next.

Cheers!

5. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    Hopefully whatever they release next will have drivers that get updated more often. That really pushed me over the edge on my B3 and convinced me to sell it.

xbud likes this.
  6. CharlieC

CharlieC

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    It continues to be a disappointment to me that Zoom has not yet given the B3 the treatment it deserves.

To add insult to injury, after only being released a few months, Zoom already boosted the B1Xon with a serious firmware update, adding 25 premier B3 effects! :rollno:

7. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    Well, the firmware update that everyone wants is another story altogether. My guess is that there are hardware/design limitations in the B3 that makes adding a lot of new features impossible. What was really handicapping me was the computer interface. I really had less and less need for the B3 with the SA pedals but I would have liked to keep it as a usb interface to compliment my Roland Quad Capture that has a few design flaws of its own.

I think that in the very crowded effects market and even more crowded pedalboards, the B1Xon and MS-60B might be better sellers than bigger units like the B3.

8. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Yeah, I was surprised at the firmware too for the B1Xon. I started it up as soon as I got it and it booted up with 1.0.0. After the firmware update it went to 1.2.0 I think it was. I've been playing with it non stop for the 5 hours and I'm continuously impressed by it. It really does have some sweetness in it. I stacked 4 to 5 effects, depending on what they were and it sounded good. The bit crusher low fi patch is really cool. There is something for everything in there. If it was cast aluminum like the 60b I would probably replace both my 70cdr and 60b with it on my board. That plastic just makes me nervous. I know I keep bringing that up, but honestly, that is the only negative I can find so far. I wonder if a rehouse would be possible...... Hmmmm.....

Killing gods

sillyfabe likes this.
  9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I agree. I can't say that I've worked with a B3, but once I got accustomed to the way the 60b works, it was easy skeezy. It's def a very useful tool on my board. I don't use it much but when I do I'm happy I have it. The synths are really cool IMO.

Killing gods

Driven Crane likes this.
  10. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Thanks Gregmon79 for your feedback! If the B1on wasn't out of stock at Amazon right now I'd probably have one!

gregmon79 likes this.
  11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
  12. bobodechimp

bobodechimp

May 22, 2011
    Canonsburg pa
    How cheap does it feel? Because plastic has come along way. It can some times be stronger than metal. Or does it feel like a snap together remo car model.

13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Honestly, to me, it's somewhere in between. I know I've complained about it repeatedly but it is pretty strong. You can tighten and loosen the treadle really easily as well. I don't know what kind of plastic it is, but I'm not sure id trust it on the road. Maybe I'm wrong.

Killing gods

14. bobodechimp

bobodechimp

May 22, 2011
    Canonsburg pa
    Don't play out any more. My only concern is it baby proof/proofish. My son likes to help daddy while I'm noodling.

15. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Haha! That is something we don't consider very much! Really though, being 'bass player proof' is almost the same thing!! lol

whbjr likes this.
  16. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    I have two young kids and I am going to respectfully disagree on that one :)

17. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    It should be fine in that regard. I could see it taking a drop and being fine.

Killing gods

18. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    So the X means this has the expression pedal with it?

19. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Yes, the X is with the pedal. Unfortunately on the version without a pedal there is (AFAIK) no expression pedal input, which is a shame, as I have a Zoom expression/volume pedal already.

I am sure before long some talented person will create a metal housing and put a B1on set of internals (maybe there is a header on the circuit board to add an expression pedal connection). I do not have the talent or equipment to do this, infortunately. If it could fit in the case of a dead B2 with a bit of hacksawing for the display and a dead B2,G2 or A2 could be got from ebay for a reasonable price I might have the skill required for some hacksaw butchery.

20. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Hmm I wish it didn't cost 65% more here than in the USA. Still, if it cost less I'd probably ending up getting an extra one as a backup! Not that I have even one currently... but it is tempting.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021