1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom B2.1 Synths - Opinions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Low Fat, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Low Fat

Low Fat

Sep 20, 2006
    Saint Louis
    I was condidering on getting one of those Zoom B2.1 floor processors - I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on this model - particularly the synths and drive sections.

I'll be running it throught a Hartke HA3500 mated to a Hartke 410 paper cone cabinet.

Using a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz bass and Music Man Sterling.

2. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    well, on these types of pedals, the synth sounds are usually just some sort of overdrive/distortion with an octave down and filter added. Its not really a true synth.

3. To be honest, the factory patches are so uninspiring that I haven't explored the synth module yet. But, you might've inspired me, check back on early next week and I might have something useful to say!

4. Well, I have messed with the synth fx of Zoom B2.1u for a while... and to tell you the truth, it's not the best one out there... It's a monophonic synth, means that it can only track one note at a time, which can be good or bad. It cannot track fast enough when i try to play Muse's Hysteria bass intro, but it serves me well when i play the intro of Muse's Time Is Running Out.

The drive effects, on the other hand, are quite useful to me. The Boss ODB simulation is the one I like best, The MXR comes in second place. The ability to blend your clean channel with the distorted one is the secret key to gain a distorted sound without losing the low frequencies. The Sansamp simulation is my main choice when I need clean sound, I always turn it on while playing.

Your best bet is to try it yourself before you buy it. I didn't buy it because of the synth effects, but probably it's a whole different matter with your conditions and needs. Good luck mate!

5. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    I really like my B2.1U, I've been a fan of ZOOM modulation effects for a very long time. It's my third ZOOM multieffects and there is always one somewhere along the 'chain' whether guitar or bass.

That being said, I don't understand the synth stuff, it just doesn't sound inspiring....as a matter of fact, I don't know what good bass synth stuff sounds like. I really like keys and sequencers for that stuff, and it's just not in this box.

I'd look elsewhere for bass synth effects, it's not one of the strong points of this unit, IMHO.

6. I use a zoom just for fun and experimenting.....it's a handy way to see if you like a particular effect. As stated above it's a Multi FX so as a general rule of thumb it does no one particular effect extreamly well but does many ok good place to experiment before you shell out big bucks for a dedicated single effect pedal