1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom B2.1u, Radial Bassbone or Tech 21 Sans Amp 3 Channel Programmable Bass DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CraigG, Jun 19, 2007.

1. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I currently have a Zoom B2.1u for some effects, but I use it largely as a DI. Have been thinking about getting a better DI for those PA only situations and have been considering the Radial Bassbone or Tech 21 Sans Amp 3 Channel Programmable Bass DI. I would prefer to stay under $250.

BETWEEN THESE 3 (B2.1u, Radial, Tech 21) which would you recommend as the best choice for live and studio?

Thanks!

Craig

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I have the B2.1u. I love it, but it's not really a serious D.I. Even with everything flat, it still compresses and colors the signal. Not very clear or punchy, and it is noisy (very quiet for it's price range, but noisy nevertheless.) It is great as an all-around, cheap effects box, but not intended as a professional D.I.

The Radial is a proven great D.I., so you can't go wrong there, and the Tech 21 will give you that coveted rock/SVT sound.

If you are looking for transparency, go for the Radial; if you are looking for some dirt and character to add to your sound, go for the Tech 21.

3. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I use the BDDI currently live and recording. I really want a Radial Tonebone for 1) When I'm using 2 basses and 2) A more transparent tone, for when I don't want that BDDI tone; that being said, my BDDI is not going anywhere though. You can't go wrong with either one, IMO. The BDDI is a bit more versatile though.

4. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Thanks for the feedback. I, too, have found the B2.1u to discolor my sound more than I would like - even when I don't have effects running.

Can I get a clean sound from the Tech 21? I do like its programability to give just a bit more variety in character should I want it (especially convenient since I will also be using it with both a fretted 5 and fretless 5 - granted I'll have to swap the cable between them), but want to be sure it can be clean as well.

Craig

5. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Had asked a question about what BDDI was but just found the answer - Sans Amp "Bass Driver DI."

Thanks,

Craig

6. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    If you just want a simple, clean DI, I'd go with Radial JDI or their Pro DI stuff.

7. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    There are clips in the sound sample thread of the sansamp. I think the clean sounds are way better than the overdrive, IMO, very versatile. I have the B2 and really like some of the sounds I can get with it, clean and overdrive, but I must confess, it's not quite in the same league as my amp somehow.

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I think you can get some goo dclean sounds from the Sans Amp but it takes some tweaking. The three channel version is a blast as you can save three patches and tweak them as needed. If you set your pre sets so that they are at unity gain, then you can also use the bypassed signal as a fourth sound.

No matter how much I tweak the BDDI, the bypassed tone of my stingray ususally wins in the end. The BDDI has some great tones but it tends to scoop out some mids no matter how its set.

Best tone I have gotten so far from it is with the bass and treble controls off, the drive around half, the mix around half and the level set fairly high to compensate.

You will have hours of fun experimenting with this unit as its a lot more versatile and useable then it first appears.

The Bassbone is expensive and needs its own special adaptor which was a big turn off to me. It appears very well built however.

9. My B2.1u is not noisy at all...and believe me, our church setup can be NOISY, between ground loops and those blasted dimmer packs...

you CAN run the Zoom with the effects bypassed completely (pushbutton on the back of the unit)...I've tried this, and IMO, the sound is not coloured at all...

IMO...it won't compete with any Radial product...but it certainly is on par with the Tech 21 gear...

10. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I have the Bassbone and a Zoom B2.1u. I am too lazy to setup any presets on the Zoom, but I use it just on B7 (tube pre, I think). Sounds fine through my band's system. I have the Bassbone on my pedalboard for when we do non-worship stuff. I specifically bought it to be able to switch between two basses. It works fine, very high quality. Perhaps a bit overkill to just use as a DI. Keep in mind the Bassbone runs off 24-volts, so if you run it on a pedalboard you'll need to use it's own power supply.

If I just wanted a DI, I'd get a nice passive one.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I've owned two Sansamps before (BDDI and PBDDI), I'm just not a fan. I'm sure the DI was fine (only used it once), but I just don't dig the emulation.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021