1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom B2.1U vs Boss ME-20B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by centralharbor, Mar 7, 2008.

1. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    I'm pretty noobish with effects, so bear with me. So I'm in the market for a multi effects pedal and these two seem like good choices. I was wondering if there was a significant difference between the two in terms of sound quality, construction quality, or something else I'm missing. I'm getting a multi effects pedal to test out effects since I've never really had any (except my MXR M80 which I still have.)

I think feature wise (correct me if I'm wrong) they both have storage for user presets for different effects (and chaining them in one preset?) Also, the Zoom has a USB connector which I think is for interfacing with your comp so you can record, but can you edit your presets with your comp too? (Are patches the same as presets?) I don't need it for the interface since I have a Lexicon Alpha, but if you can tweak the settings with your comp instead of on the pedal, I bet that adds ease of use.

Effects, they seem to have similar types of effects (which don't really speak of the quality of them, but by shear quantity, Zoom has slightly more)but the Zoom has the amp models too, which would be cool to try out.

The Zoom does come with an AC adapter and is $50 cheaper if I get the POP model, and the Boss doesn't come with the AC adapter, so I'd have to buy one for $25. So the million dollar question (actually, either $160 or $235 question), is the Boss worth the extra $75?

2. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    I cant comment in the other but I bought a Zoom B2.1u a few weeks ago to upgrade it from and older zoom pedal I had.

Its outstanding, Its built so much better then the old ones, metal casing and lots of rubber, I really think it was made to last. the effects are much better then the old one too, and much more diversity to change pretty much everything. Drum machine has 40 settings which is great if your just trying to come up with something, metronome is good too, has a cool feature on the drum machine where you can tap a button at the speed you want it too, saves messing about trying to speed it up or slow it down. The computer Software im having troubles with, still cant figure out what the hell to do with it, the USB cable doesnt come with it either which I had to shell out another £10 for. and I cant get any sound out of the speakers, may just be me but im pretty good with computers and im really finding it hard to work at all. I gave up on it after an hour or 2.

The effects are spot on, can get a great range and some excelent ones preset to sound like diffrent amps.

Build quality is spot on

Only fault I can find with it is that using a passive bass and using the pedal with just earphones without an amp, its really quiet, its fine running thru the amp though.

3. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    I reread my post and it sounds like its just the sound im having troubles with....

its not, its a very complicated piece of software!! but Just like adobe premier for video editing, it takes a while to figure out. (not that ive figured it out yet either)

4. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    Cool, thanks for your input. I'm more looking for a direct comparison if anyone had one, but if you have experience with either, I appreciate that too.

5. For the price difference the Zoom really has the goods. I've had mine for several weeks now and am really enjoying it. The amp and effect sounds and the parameters you can control are excellent. There is an actually usable EQ section and the synth sounds are great. The XLR output is a real plus but I have not tried the USB interface
    IMO the only thing you need in addition to the B2.1u is an external pedal for bypass as it is impossible to hit both footswitches at the same time. I suspect the switch problems that are reported to develop are a result of frustrated stomping to get it into bypass/mute mode.

6. centralharbor

centralharbor

Nov 21, 2005
    hawaii
    Thanks for your input guys. I was searching youtube for vids of guys using these pedals and I came across this guy

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kJSozRIV19I&feature=related

I think he swayed me to get the zoom. If anyone has anything else to say about these pedals, I'd like to hear it since I'll probably wait till monday to buy it.