Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Zoom b2 and poweramp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Triclops, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    :help: Hey! I am considering using my b2 as a preamp , and buying a poweramp from steelsound.com also some speakers from avatar....sound good or foolhardy? need some advice before I go through with shelling out the loot.:help:

2. 2 "help" smilies scare people. Ditch one and responses will start flooding in. :p

3. The B2 is an effects pedal, I have one and like it alot but I don't think it would work well as a preamp (IMHO). Tonal variety and control would be limited. Something like a Sansamp RBI would work better with a power amp. If you wanted, you can later add the B2.

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well, I literally am trying the same exact thing next week. I have the B2U (which adds the USB interface, wah pedal and DI over the standard B2). The B2 and B2U have built in amp (and cab) models and actually does have a 6 band EQ if you know howto use it. I got one of thise GEM 450 watt (when bridged) power amps that musicians friend is blowing out for $99 (I actually got an open box one for $70) and a Steel Sound 2x10 for $99 and am going to try the B2.U for the pre.

Heck, the B2 and B2U even have a SansAmp model in it that sounds great along with MANY other head and DI models (I mean tons of them)! I think it's going to work, but I'll know for sure next week. As for the GEM power amp, my band already uses one of the for one of our monitor channels and the thing works like a champ. Pretty damn loud. There is a slight bit of fan noise, but nothing serious at all. They are a STEAL for $99!

I just got sick of hauling my gear to practice every week or leaving my head and cab there which scares me, so this is a cheap leave it there solution which I hope works. The cab and amp should be here Wed and I already have the B2U which I got for $175 shipped new. Total investment for cab, amp and pre is $375 to my door...