1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom B2 in the studio?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by harlon, Aug 13, 2007.

1. harlon

harlon

Jul 13, 2007
    Has anyone used a Zoom B2 in the studio? If so - how has that worked for you? Also - what's the difference in the B2 and the B1? Can't find anything on their website comparing the two.

Thanks!

2. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I've only recorded one 6-song album so I'm not very experienced, but for those sessions I used my MIA Jazz through a B2 into a Nemesis 210 combo, which ran into the board through the DI. I generally use my B2 for tone, not effects, so I stick to the amp modeling, limiting, EQ and noise reduction and only occasionally use phaser or delay. That being said, the B2 works fine if your amp is a little lacking tone-wise. I don't know if it's possible to use a B2 as a DI or not but I doubt it. The B1, as far as I know, is a scaled-down version of the B2 with less features. The B2 IMHO is about the best multi-effects on the market in that price range. The B2.1 is just the B2 with an expression pedal. Hope this helps

3. B2.1U has a DI and a USB interface as well as the expression pedal...

4. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The B1 I believe is plastic, :eek: as opposed to the B2 which is a very solid metal box. I'm pretty sure the B1 has fewer parameters/controls etc.
    As far as using the B2 for recording...
    It should work as a direct box, after all it'll drive headphones and most 4tracks or mixing boards have trim knobs.
    IME I did get a slightly cleaner sound with my bass straight into my little 4 track. This may be due to the funky wiring in my house, where the fewer gadgets in the chain the clearer the signal. However, My bass already has a pre and sounds great by itself. I also record with the B2 if I want any effects since my 4track doesn't really allow me to re-amp or anything.

5. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    I've recorded directly out of the B2 into the mixing board, always seem to work well. It's not a high-end rig, but sounded decent to me, I liked it better than the sansamp.

6. FunkQueen

FunkQueen

Aug 23, 2007
    I wonder how the drum patterns sound when they're recorded?
    Any mp3 we can hear from anyone?
    Can I use my zoom g2.1u's drums in recordings?
    Even the G2.1.u's worked well on bass. (many of its FXs)
    I guess 24 bit and 96 KHZ quality are huge steps.
    I really liked the drum sound coming from my bass amp. and also many fxs.
    I also own analog gear but the zoom's high quality blew me away.
    any similar experiences?

7. hmmm I havent actually recorded on my B2...
    just a few thoughts though, im not quite sure how good it is for a 5 string, I have my rbx375 through it into a 40w amp which I think the amp kills the B string slightly,... doesnt bother me too much but when using alot of the effects, using the E and B strings it either doesnt track or sounds very horrid,... I mainly leave it on the A0 default setting and occasionally use distortion and phaser... still sounds decent enough that id record with it though I havent tried yet,...

thought the drum track thing was good at first, then realised it was impossible to get it to the tempo or drum style that I actually WANTED for any one song,... much easier to play along with a CD,.. nice novelty for having a fake jam or something but didnt overly like it... especially as the "metal" drum track was so far removed from any metal drumming I listen to... *shrug*

problem could be more with my amp as on the clean setting through headphones the B string sounds nice but yeah not sure on the tracking for B and E with fx which is mostly where I like to play... (this is through either headphones or the actual speaker...)

8. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The Zoom handles my low B just fine. As for the "drum machine"... none of these kind of preprogrammed drum beats will have the flexibility of a real drummer. I've found patterns that kind of work for some of my tunes but I would certainly get a real drummer for recording.

9. FunkQueen

FunkQueen

Aug 23, 2007
    I wish my G2.1u had a built-in looper as well...
    Does b2.1u have one?

10. Discount Saint

Discount Saint Bassist for the music in my head Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Anyone use the USB output on their B2.1u? I'm trying to figure out if I could use it as an all-in-one PC interface for Cubase SE or not.. seems I should be able to record anything I want through there, even if it will be mono and not necessarily the greatest sound quality.. I mostly just want the ability to do some simple multi-track work for getting ideas down, etc.

11. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Funk Queen, do you mean "tape" loop? or effects loop? Echo and delay get up to 5 seconds and you can set up an external hold switch.