1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Zoom B2!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FunkSlap89, Apr 13, 2006.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    So I ordered one of these things off ebay and just got it today. I plugged it in and right away I knew it was going to be a good piece of equipment. I love the sound of the preset patches. And its so easy to make your own! The sound quality is very good. Its quite easy to navigate and the drum machine is decent. The display could be better, but it gets the job done. I think this is a very solid piece of equipment for the small price of $100. :cool:

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    whats up funkslap, hope the lady situation is going well. Is this the new model that just came out or an older one?

thanks

3. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    lol, the lady situation is good.

If by new you mean 6 months ago, then yes. I don't know if anything has come out since then though.

I made some recordings i'll get up here in a minute

Edit: Here they are: www.purevolume.com/jesseh

The first one a cool effect called harmonizing pitch shift mixed with the auto wah. I just played regular power chords on the G and D strings.
    The second one is supposed to sound like Motown or Jamerson. I think it's pretty close.
    The third one is the Ampeg SVT model, which i thought nailed the Californication tone.

4. Does it taint your sound? is it a tough piece of gear? (i have a zoom5062 that if the pedal just isn't pushed nice and easily, will skip similar to a cd player and just restart itself.)

5. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Hear for yourself by listening to the recordings.

It seems to be built like a tank. I just got it so I haven't been to rough with it, but it just feels really sturdy.

6. wow dude, that first patch is totally sick....the effects seem pretty good but like all the zoom gear i've tried, they seem a bit muffled as well....what sorta sound do you go for? what are your preamp settings??

7. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    No comparison with the 506II. I've got both, The B2 is nice. 24 bit/96Khz sampling. Very adjustable parameters.

8. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I don't go for any sound in particular. I just tweak my amp before I play and roll with it. If it needs adjustment, then I change it while i'm playing. I'm not really too picky.

The recordings were just my bass (eq set flat) running through the B2 and straight into the line in on my computer.

9. Is it worth getting the B2 with the expression pedal?

10. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I dunno... the only reason the B2.1U would be worth it is for the USB connection, IMO. You can buy the expression pedal seperately and hook it into the regular B2.

11. I didn't know you could buy the exp pedal as a separate option. Any idea how much it is? Which B2 do you have?

12. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I have the regular B2, without the expression pedal. I think the pedal on the side is about $50 (USD). So, I don't know if its worth it. I don't see the need for one and I prolly won't get it.

13. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    This may be a personal preference, but if you have a seperate compressor pedal, use that instead of the inbuilt compressor, I felt it added too much noise and screwed with your dynamics too much. I disabled the inbuilt compressor and put my EBS Multicomp in front of it and there's no contest.

14. That's good to know. I've always wondered what the difference is between effects that come with a multi-effects pedal, and those ones that one with their own individual pedals but I've never received a satisfactory explanation.

15. foyos

foyos

Feb 10, 2006
    lisbon portugal
    just a quick stupid question,how do you plug the B2 into a pc?

16. I'm not sure about the B2, but I think it is via a USB cable.

17. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    the usb feature is only availble for the B2.1U. On the regular B2, i just plug it straight into the line in on my computer using a guitar cable and a little adapter i got from radioshack.

18. So it's an audio connection you're talking about?

19. foyos

foyos

Feb 10, 2006
    lisbon portugal
    and you still need some kind of program on the computer right?

20. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Yeah, but the B2.1u includes a copy of Cubase LE, which lacks some features of its big brother, Cubase SX, but works perfectly fine for me.