1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom B2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by oldprussians, Mar 5, 2008.

1. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    United Republic of Europe
    IT Professional!
    I bought a Zoom B2 because I wanted to have something I could play my bass through when I am in my hotel room since I work away from home.
    Normally I've got peddles in chain which I will sell now.

Pros:
    Love the tuner I though I was going to keep my Arion Tuner, no more
    Sounds are Great even the Synth sounds, Not hard really since I only have the SYB7 to compare to which is a Distortion peddle with wah made to mimic a real synth peddle!
    Compact and does exactly want with regards being a portable headphones amp for bass

Cons

The patching system I don't Like. Normally one would play the standard clean sound and turn the effect on for the part of the number and then back again, or play an affected sound through. The solution seems to be to set up the user patches as Clean/Standard - Selected Effect - Clean/Standard - Selected Effect ect so that in a set one just does one click up or down per number.

Where you have to put the Zoom.
    Normally I would put my effects (Chorus Flanger Delay ect) in the effects loop, in between the Pre and Power Amps, before or after the Graphic. But Because the Auto Wah is in there and it gets its trigger from the bass I have to put at the front end. Same argument for the synth all though it oddly enough the Octaver needs that too, which my Arion Octave, didn't it would happily go in the go in the loop and give a nicer sound.

Has any one got anything to add. It sounds as the Cons out weigh the Pros but the sounds are so nice I'm happy with it!

2. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I use it for home recordings when i can't be bothered pulling out seperate pedals. I don't use it live, too many parameters to worry about on stage. I like seperate pedals, easy to tweek on the fly.
    Sounds good for home recordings and i won't sell it, comes in handy sometimes.

3. I have a B2.1u ...I use mine live...I'm not an effects nut. So I stick to basic things...amp/cab sims...EQ and occasional reverb and chorus...

The DI (not available on the B2) works great and the unit is very quiet...

I also have a bank of presets setup for my electric guitar, I have quite a few really good sounds programmed on it for guitar...

IMO...the B2.1u is one of the most useful pieces of gear for the price you can have...

4. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    Yea I didn't want to spend the extra 50 quid...... I tried to put it in front of the power amp but the output was too high for the power amp, ie Bass B2 return input of FX Loop on the Amp.

That where the DI out would come in.... Mind you if I turned down the output of the Preamp modeller on the Zoom that might Work????

5. it's interesting that you say that the output is too hot for your power amp...the zoom's output spec is 0dB or about 275mV ...that's not really high...I certainly can't overdrive my inexpensive Laney combo with it....

does your amp have two inputs (high/low or passive/active)...in other words, a padded (or attenuated) input? if so use it...

and put the zoom on the front end...it really is made to go there and not in the effects loop...

6. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    I do put it there but aren't happy... Modulation effects like chorus and the clean effects sound soooo much better in the loop. The only reason to keep it at the front end is for the auto-wah and the Bass synth effect that require it.

7. I have the B2,...

I like the tuner (very quick, accurate and easy to use compared to my one on the Amp I have...)
    I like the effects and the number of things I have found fiddling with it,... dislike the drums because I just never stick with one basic drumbeat in a song so offputting (plus I use a metronome I already have if I need to)... I love one sound I found,... was basically fiddling with all the knobs, im not quite sure WHAT it is but its like distortion maxed + phaser maxed + delay maxed = crazy rubbing up and down the fretboard makes like a crazy storm sound... could sit there and make random stuff for it all night! would be a kool intro to a song or something I reckon!
    I dislike the insane number of variety in this thing and the fact that it takes so long to edit and save one patch,... im too impatient! (wish there was a USB editor so you could digitally edit via computer!) I do like the headphones DI situation so good for practicing :) but now have headphones out on my main amp now anyways so... :meh:
    but yeah ive basically opted to go for the pedalboard route so I can have the few things I want ready to go, just wish I could get that distortion crazy thing saved into a patch,... oh and I really like the factory phaser setting, try playing intro to 46 and 2 with it, sounds trippy as ;)

theres pro's and cons, just depends on how you use it I guess!

8. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Try lowering the B2's output volume. Turn the leftmost knob to "control" and then lower the rightmost knob from 80 to about 35 and see how that works. If it works, you'll have to do this every time you turn the B2 on.

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    This is what I've had to do to run straight into my power amp. Then all the effects are in the "right" order with the possible exception of the compressor. I also had to turn down the Zoom's master to get it to play nice with a separate compressor I was running after it. The Zoom's comp is pretty heavy handed IME and I think it cuts a little low end. This unit is not gourmet but it's certainly no POS.

10. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    Cheers guys!

So you found that the auto wah all worked well when you went straight to the Power Amp? Cool

It's actually not a bad Idea that you have to do it every time you turn it on ,since I take it on my work travels and I use it as a practise amp! This way I wont have to remember to put it back Up! Always think positive

11. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    Worked Great! thanks! Now I put my bass into the Zoom b2 and the B2 into the return effects loop and it works a treat!

12. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    I've just realized that even though I love this peddle, the Octave seems rubbish Passed the 13th fret on the G string it breaks up, but does well on the opposite extreme....

Any one found the same? Otherwise I'll keep my Octave Peddle and put it in my Effects loop on my Amp!

13. I thought the octave was pretty cool but I never used it much.

I just sold my zoom B2 on ebay.

I loved it very much but I just found that I was using delay, chorus and flanger so I bought some old japanese vintage DD-3 and BF-2 and also got a CE-5.

The boss pedals sound much nicer that the B2 in my opinion so I sold mr zoom.

I do however already miss the tuner, sansamp, EQ and on and on.. great pedal.

14. oldprussians

oldprussians

Jan 7, 2008
    IT Professional!
    I love all the sythbass and front end stuff so It might as well be my front end Pedal. Other than that I use as a portable practice amp when I'm working away from home. Also the Chorus/Flanger seemed good enough especially as I would only use it with a fretless.... and the delay I use very rarely..... So I'll keep my Arion Octave, But have to get rid of my Ibanez Syth, Arion Chorus Arion Tuner Ibanez Autowah, and Spare Behringer octave.

I did have a Ibanez PUE5b and that was great, just too big....

15. I just bought a Tascam bass trainer for the exact same reason. Im on the road week to week with work. Life gets a bit boring in Hotels / Motels :atoz:

The trainers have some basic effects in there and I can play along to some tunes... Should make my time in hotels a bit more bearable!