1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Zoom B3 noob questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hammerhil, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Hammerhil

Hammerhil

Oct 10, 2013
    I just picked up a Zoom B3 at the recommendation of my store guy as I was looking for a new tuner and compressor, and it was cheaper than the both of them. So far I love it, but I have a few noob questions that I haven't found answers to on the forum or zoom's web page.

First off, it seems that it is constantly using a patch. If I exit the patch menu and play with the pedals, I seem to screw up whatever patch it was previously on. For example, if I pick a patch, exit out of it and turn a pedal off, the next time I select that patch it will still have the pedal off. I have to exit the patch menu, and turn it back on. It also seems to save over the patch if I change a pedal. Is there any way to run it without having patches on so I can experiment without mucking the presets up? I was thinking of just making a "blank" patch and using that, but there has to be an easier way.

Is there a quick bypass for the unit if I want to run a clean signal from the patch menu? It would be nice to kill the effects when I'm not playing at that exact moment, without having to exit the menu and turn each pedal individually off. I do have a an expression pedal to control volume but I was hoping to jump in and out of practicing clean and then adding effects. I'm not looking to mute my rig.

So far I really like the unit, and when compared to the price of 3 basic pedals it wins hands down. I am having a lot of fun figuring it out.

If there are any other tips and tricks a new user should know, I'd love to hear them!

2. jfh2112

jfh2112

Jun 18, 2013
    Brookhaven, MS
    Subscribed.

My B3 arrived today; I've got it set up and have been playing with it for about an hour now. This will be a nice practice companion to my GT-10B I use to play live. I love the USB connectivity, and the fact that it will run off USB power.

I noticed the same thing about the effects. I junked up a few of the presets without knowing this, so I ended up doing a factory reset until I figure it out.

Also, there is a firmware update for the B3:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/b3/software/

I don't have any tips yet, but will share if I come across something.

3. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    As far as the first part I'm not sure about the presets.

However if you want to switcb back and forth between clean and effected signals if you hold down the middle button for like 2 seconds itll activate the tu er which only uses the dry signal. That's the fastest way I know to do it.

Personally i use mine as a pre-amp so its almost always on but I dont think there's a faster way to switch between the 2

4. Hammerhil

Hammerhil

Oct 10, 2013
    Heh, I have also become very familiar with the factory reset. I did get the patch, and I am glad that the reset doesn't kill it.

5. jovino

jovino

Jun 20, 2011
    The Edit&Share software will let you load the factory presets back into the B3. It also allows you to back up "versions" of set-ups, so if you screw something up you can reload it from a previous save.

The B3 uses "auto save," so it's constantly updating itself. This makes it pretty easy to muck up the presets. If I remember correctly, every slot was full of a preset. It makes for a good starting point, but there's also a lot of unusable patches in that box.

There are a few other good threads on here about the B3 including a patch sharing library. It's a fun box.

6. The best way to bypass the B3 is with a looper(I use the Boss LS-2). Most of my patches are using all 3 slots at once so it's just easier to kick them all on at once with the LS-2. I like the autosave feature, I know a lot people don't though. I don't think I have many factory presets left at this point. I didn't find many of them that useful in the first place though. I would recommend going to the total menus on all of your patches and turning the levels down to about 80ish. The B3 is a loud little muthahumpa.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  7. Hammerhil

Hammerhil

Oct 10, 2013
    Hey thanks for all your input. Now that I have a better idea on how to work this thing I am happily creating new patches.

8. Markr1st

Markr1st

Oct 12, 2012
    Ive been noodling with the B3 since Santa brought it ;-)... 1st off, im a sound noodler who has been using a Boss ME50b into whatever head for years which i loved. Recently somone wanted my head for the right price so i sold it and began running the ME50b directly into a Crest CA9....
    AAAaaanyway.... In this move, the ME50b as a straight up preamp was a bit 'thin' for my taste and the Sansamp was too 'one dimensional' enter the b3. It is the most impressive out of the box effects unit ive ever played, quality build, VERY good tones, ALL the pedals, preamps, amp models a cover band bass player like myself could want. And they are the most true to original sounds ive heard in a preamp. ONLY constructive criticisms so far: no Mesa amp model, and patch switching is a 'scroll' up or down not multiple buttons.... I suspect a seperate multi pedal attachment may come?